592 Search Results for retired

Mar 27, 2014 3:08 pm

Retired Forrest Griffin Says Body So Beat Up He Can No Longer Dunk

Former UFC light-heavyweight champion, Forrest Griffin, is six-foot, three-inches tall. He’s not a short man my any stretch of the imagination. Which is why it’s somewhat troubling to hear, that at just 34 years-old, he’s struggling so hard with a broken down body, that a simple athletic feat of dunking a basketball is now impossible...

Mar 12, 2014 9:03 am

GSP happy to be retired: “I’m enjoying my life”

Last December Georges St. Pierre stepped away from the sport of MMA and relinquished his crown as king of the UFC welterweight division. A choice that he has yet to regret so it seems. He took some time with Yahoo Sports to discuss his reasoning for walking away from the sport and how he feels...

Nov 12, 2013 12:26 pm

Rashad Evans Wants To Retire… Before He Gets Retired

Chuck Liddell. Gary Goodridge. Rich Franklin. Big Nog. All of these names come to mind, when you think of fighters who might have been a little too stubborn for their own good; clinging to their competitive spirit a little too long, most combat athletes fail to retire while on top of their game, opting to...


Nov 12, 2013 8:48 am

White: Nick’s Manager Said He’s Retired; Diaz: I Don’t Have A Manager

During the ‘UFC Fight Night 32’ post-fight press conference, UFC president Dana White was asked about the possible return of former Strikeforce welterweight champion Nick Diaz. The UFC president stated that he had offered a fight to the Diaz camp, but that the Stockton fighter had decided to remain retired: “I offered Nick Diaz a...

Nov 11, 2013 10:43 am

White Offers Diaz UFC Fight – Says Nick Is ‘Still Retired’

Dana White answered a plethora of questions following UFC Fight Night 32 on Fox Sports 1. And while the majority of those questions revolved around Vitor Belfort’s win over Dan Henderson (the first KO loss of Henderson’s career), one reporter went a bit off-topic and queried Mr. White on the whereabouts of “The Stockton Bad Boy”, Nick Diaz....

Jun 11, 2013 5:47 am

Lawyer: Nick Diaz still retired for immediate future

Following his unanimous-decision loss to Georges St. Pierre at UFC 158, former Strikeforce champion Nick Diaz (26-9 MMA, 7-6 UFC) announced his retirement from mixed martial arts. Shortly thereafter news broke that the Stockton native was getting into the MMA promoting business in North California. Today Diaz’s lawyer Jonathan Tweedale spoke to Ariel Helwani about...

Oct 15, 2012 7:04 pm

UFC Hall of Famer Matt Hughes Says it Looks Like He’s Retired

  Readers of this site are very familiar with Matt Hughes. Not only is he a former UFC Welterweight Champion, he is a UFC Hall of Famer and he faced BJ Penn three times, losing two of them. Hughes celebrated his 39th birthday this past Saturday and hasn’t been seen in the Octagon since losing...

Oct 10, 2012 3:12 pm

With Lesnar & Conrad Retired Team Death Clutch Closes Doors | MMA NEWS

Team Death Clutch is no more subsequent to Brock Lesnar and Cole Konrad’s retirement. Brock Lesnar built a gym and facility that would make him a more complete mixed martial artist, while also keeping him close to home. The team carried on with fighters like Bellator heavyweight champion Cole Konrad and UFC heavyweight Pat Barry,...

Jun 26, 2012 4:01 pm

Though Retired, Fedor Not Ruling Out Return Against Lesnar | MMA NEWS

By Jose Garcia After retiring last week from MMA and all competition sports, Fedor Emelianenko, made his first official statement since the news of his retirement. After dominating Pedro Rizzo in 84 seconds, the once king of the heavyweight division decided it was time to hang up the gloves. When the news reached the internet...

Apr 15, 2012 6:04 pm

BJ Penn's Ultimate Decision | Confirms Still Retired

By Roberto Mattos: The entire MMA world has come down with a strange feeling of ennui. Tapout flags across the world have been flying at half-mast. Die-hard MMA fans have been seen crying uncontrollably in a fetal position. No, this isn’t because Brock Lesnar is back in the WWE, or because Tito Ortiz may be...

Mar 7, 2012 11:00 am

Video | Nate Diaz Says His Brother Nick Will Likely Stay Retired

“Triathlon season is starting so he’s just training, getting in shape for that. [He’s] concentrating on being in shape, being healthy, helping me out and coaching me for my fights. Right now, I don’t think [we’ll ever see him back]. He’s just big on, like I said, just being healthy and staying in shape and...

Sep 29, 2016 1:01 pm

Tito Ortiz gives date for potential Chael Sonnen fight: ‘I call the shots’

Earlier this month, former UFC title challenger Chael Sonnen announced that he was coming out of retirement, and had signed an exclusive, multi-fight deal with Bellator MMA. While Sonnen remained adamant throughout the course of his 2-year suspension that he was indeed retired from MMA, it took just over one month from the time his...

Sep 24, 2016 9:48 am

Wanderlei Silva calls out Chael Sonnen

Earlier this month, former UFC title challenger Chael Sonnen announced that he was ending his retirement, and had already signed an exclusive, multi-fight deal with Bellator MMA. Sonnen, who recently celebrated the end of his 2-year suspension handed to him by the NSAC, remained adamant throughout the course of his suspension that he was indeed...

Sep 23, 2016 7:31 pm

On This Day: Joe Lauzon makes his UFC debut with 48-second knockout

It has been a crazy and long road for UFC fan favorite Joe Lauzon. “J-Lau” burst onto the scene 10 years ago on this day in September of 2006 when he made his UFC debut against former UFC lightweight champion Jens Pulver. Lauzon shocked the world when he knocked Pulver out in just 48 seconds...

Sep 20, 2016 9:43 am

Jon Anik to Be Joined by Two New Fighters at the Commentary Booth

When Jon Anik hunkers down at the broadcast booth to call a UFC event, he’s typically joined by one of two fighters. One is former UFC lightweight and featherweight title challenger Kenny Florian. The other is former UFC middleweight Brian Stann. Both are long retired. Today, however, news broke that Anik will be joined by two...

Sep 19, 2016 1:54 pm

King Mo Lawal wants to welcome Shane Carwin to Bellator

King Mo Lawal has been a ‘moneyweight’ fighter ever since his humble beginnings back in Strikeforce. The brash light heavyweight has competed several times at heavyweight throughout his career, and appears to be interested in yet another with recently unretired Shane Carwin. King Mo spoke about a potential match-up with the heavy handed former UFC...

Sep 16, 2016 8:18 am

Scott Coker gives brief reaction to Chael Sonnen signing with Bellator

Thursday evening, it was announced that former UfC title challenger Chael Sonnen had officially ended his retirement, and signed an exclusive multi-fight contract with Bellator MMA. At the time of the announcement, there had been no word given as to when Sonnen would be making his Bellator MMA debut, however it was revealed that Sonnen...

Sep 15, 2016 8:03 pm

Chael Sonnen reacts to signing with Bellator, already has opponent in mind

This week, news surfaced that former UFC middleweight contender Chael Sonnen had ended his retirement, and signed with Bellator MMA. Sonnen, who recently celebrated the end of his 2-year suspension, remained adamant over the course of the last 2 years that he is indeed retired. When ‘The American Gangster’ announced that he was ending his...

Sep 8, 2016 7:10 am

McGregor vs GSP ‘off the table’ for UFC 205

A respected source within the MMA world squashed rumors that have been circulating of a potential superfight between former welterweight kingpin Georges St-Pierre and Conor McGregor. Ariel Helwani tweeted that the fight was “off the table” in response to a question regarding the match-up, which had been rumored to take place at UFC 205 in New York...

Aug 11, 2016 8:13 am

Chael Sonnen ready to put friendship aside for Nick Diaz fight?

Just several weeks ago, former UFC title challenger Chael Sonnen, and MMA veteran Nick Diaz, both celebrated the end of their suspensions. Sonnen was suspended 2-years for a pair of failed drug tests back in 2014 prior to his scheduled fight with Vitor Belfort. After it was revealed that he failed the drug tests, Sonnen...