Elias Theodorou comments on UFC release

Elias Theodorou
Image: @eliastheodorou on Instagram

Canadian middleweight Elias Theodorou is among the latest crop of fighters to be released from the UFC roster. Given the fact that he was previously ranked in the division’s top-15, and that he boasts a solid 8-3 UFC record, this news came as a bit of a surprise.

Speaking on his Twitter account on Wednesday, Theodorou himself shared a few quick thoughts on this surprising twist of fate.

https://twitter.com/EliasTheodorou/status/1133895306825936896

“For some time I prided myself at being an unorthodox fighter able to outsmart his opponent in a form of competition,” Theodorou wrote. “I can see now to many, the ‘entertainment’ of violence out ways victory. Looking to take the time and grow not only as a martial artist, but a prize fighter.”

From there, Elias Theodorou made a few more comments on this issue, engaging with fans on Twitter.

He expressed interest in being able to represent his sponsors in fights overseas, now that he’ll no longer be forced to wear Reebok by the UFC.

https://twitter.com/EliasTheodorou/status/1134081116401491968

“I’m excited to have my banner & shorts for sponsorship,” he said. “Two long time partners are global & would love their logo in either Europe or Asia. That 1 deal is worth more than a win. Excited for the future.”

Many members of the MMA community have expressed disappointment in the UFC’s decision to cut Elias Theodorou, including UFC commentator Joe Rogan.

“Obviously I’m a giant fan of the UFC, I love them to death. I am so happy and I would do nothing for any other organization. I would never want to work for any other organization,” Rogan said on his Joe Rogan Experience podcast. “But I don’t like the way they do things. There are a lot of things I don’t like. They just cut Elias Theodorou. One loss, Derek Brunson, cut. Like, explain that. How do you explain that? That one doesn’t make any sense.”

This article first appeared on BJPENN.COM on 5/30/2019.