Luke Rockhold says UFC is ‘pursuing’ Bisping trilogy, hopes bout occurs at 205

Luke Rockhold

With respect to potential opponents for the yet-unscheduled retirement fight of former UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping, a number of names have been mentioned, from Rashad Evans, to Vitor Belfort, to Lyoto Machida. Now, though, it’s looking like Bisping’s last – and probably final – challenge will come in the form of Luke Rockhold.

Bisping has previously expressed interest in a tie-breaking trilogy fight with Rockhold, and on Monday’s edition of The MMA Hour, Rockhold revealed his mutual interest in the bout.

“You know that’s a fight that, if it’s on the table, I’m gonna have to put that at the front of the line before I do anything else,” Rockhold said. “If he can back up what he just said, I’ll be very willing to take that fight any where, any time.”

Rockhold, who has recently been flirting with a move up to the 205-pound light heavyweight division, also expressed interest in having this bout occur in this new weight class.

“Let’s make it a little more intriguing,” Rockhold said. “Let’s bring it to 205.”

Whatever the case, Rockhold’s comments on the show indicate that the UFC is pressing forward with this plan.

“Why don’t we do this thing in style?” Rockhold said. “Let’s sign on the bottom line. … I know this is a fight the UFC is pursuing. So, we’ll see. We’ll see if Bisping can back up his mouth once again.”

Rockhold and Bisping are 1-1 across two fights. Rockhold won the first bout, which occurred in 2014, with a second-round guillotine. Bisping won the second, a 2016 middleweight title fight, with an odds-defying first-round knockout.

Would you be interested in seeing former middleweight champions Luke Rockhold and Michael Bisping fight for a third time – perhaps at light heavyweight? Join the conversation in the comments section!

This article first appeared on BJPenn.com on 3/6/2018.