After two previously scheduled bouts fell through, Donald Cerrone and Robbie Lawler finally went to war last weekend. Just like we all hoped, the fight was a very fun one, with both men enjoying moments of success. In the end, however, Lawler walked away the winner, picking up a somewhat controversial decision win.
Unfortunately, it came to light after this action-packed fight that “Cowboy” Cerrone had sustained an eye-injury during the contest, and that he could be sidelined for something north of 180 days.
As it turn out, however, Cerrone’s orbital bone is not fractured, as it was initially believed to be. Instead, the fan favorite welterweight contender should be good to compete again in the coming months. And apparently, he’s got a date in mind.
“I was just at the office rallying for Oct. 7 [UFC 216],” Cerrone told MMAjunkie earlier this week. “So we’ll see. I didn’t get knocked out this time, so I was like, ‘I’m OK.’
“I got my eye cleared up. I had a six-month (medical) suspension, so that’s another reason why I’m here. I went and took my eye – I got it cleared, and I’m good to go – 20/5 vision. You’d think I could see the punches coming.”
Cowboy then discussed the fight with Lawler itself. While he says he had a lot of fun in the cage, he also wishes they’d had a few more rounds to work with.
“I wish we had two more rounds, man,” Cerrone said. “God, I had a good time. I really did. I knew that fight was going to be that exact thing: meeting in the middle and (expletive) just fighting. The judges – whatever. I don’t have any control over that. I can’t say ‘(Expletive) them.’
“I guess I should have fought harder, right? They always say, ‘Don’t leave it to the judges.’ So that’s that. Like I said, I wish I had two more rounds. But I legitimately have a sickness, and that was fun to me. Like fun, fun.”
What did you think of Donald Cerrone’s war with Robbie Lawler?
This article first appeared on BJPenn.com on 8/3/2017.This article appeared first on BJPENN.COM