Derek Brunson continues to call out Michael Bisping, shares bout agreement

Derek Brunson

Earlier this month, middleweight contender Derek Brunson issued a compelling callout of former UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping.

“I gotta go to the Fox studio to find [Michael Bisping], I see,” Brunson said in his Tweet. “You’re ranked 6, I’m ranked 7. Let’s exchange [rankings].”

Unfortunately for Brunson, this first callout went unanswered by Bisping – but he’s not giving up just yet. On Tuesday, Brunson once again called out the former champion, this time sharing what looks like a portion of a signed bout agreement.

“Dear [Michael Bisping],” Brunson said in his post. “You’re no easy fight. Obviously you’re ranked ahead of me… it only makes sense for a #6 being you and #7 being me to fight. Upside for both of us. The top half of the division is older than us both stop crying. You aren’t going anywhere, neither am I.”

Though Michael Bisping and Derek Brunson still reside among the sport’s best middleweights, both are coming off tough knockout losses.

Bisping’s most recent loss was dealt by surging contender Kelvin Gastelum, who removed his batteries with a first-round punch. This knockout loss to Gastelum was preceded by a submission loss to Georges St-Pierre, which marked the end of Bisping’s title reign.

Brunson, meanwhile, was recently put down by a crushing head-kick dealt by Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza. This loss was preceded by a similarly emphatic knockout win over Lyoto Machida.

Bisping’s retirement fight was originally expected to headline the UFC’s March 17 return to London, England. In the end, however, the British legend delayed his retirement plans – quite possibly forever. The London card will now be headlined by an interesting heavyweight contender fight between Russia’s Alexander Volkov and Brazil’s Fabricio Werdum.

This article first appeared on BJPenn.com on 2/21/2018.