“Strikeforce: Champions” is set to take place at the Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City on January 12, 2013, and the card is quickly beginning to fill up.
Along with many other bouts, it was announced today that a middleweight bout featuring Roger Gracie (5-1 MMA, 3-1 SF) and Anthony Smith (17-8 MMA, 2-1 SF) has been added to the event.
Gracie, who is a Brazilian jiujitsu black belt and world champion grappler, will fight for the first time since July, where he scored a decision victory over UFC veteran Keith Jardine. Prior to the Jardine win, Roger suffered the first loss of his career at the hands of Muhammed “King Mo” Lawal in September of 2011.
Meanwhile, Smith has won three consecutive fights, including a submission victory over Lumumba Sayers in August. It was his 17th stoppage in 17 career wins. Smith has gone 9-1 in his past 10 bouts with his lone loss coming to Adlan Amagov at Strikeforce Challengers 20.
The “Strikeforce: Champions” fight card now includes:
- Champ Nate Marquardt vs. Tarec Saffiedine (Welterweight title fight)
- Daniel Cormier vs. Dion Staring
- Gegard Mousasi vs. Mike Kyle
- Josh Barnett vs. Nandor Guelmino
- Ryan Couture vs. K.J. Noons
- Pat Healy vs. Jorge Masvidal
- Roger Gracie vs. Anthony Smith