Tony Ferguson issues emotional statement following UFC 223 removal

Tony Ferguson

Tony Ferguson issues emotional statement following UFC 223 removal

Earlier this evening the mixed martial arts world was left shocked by some devastating news that current UFC interim lightweight champion Tony Ferguson had suffered a knee injury and was forced out of his scheduled UFC 223 headliner with undefeated contender Khabib Nurmagomedov.

This marks the fourth time that the proposed Tony Ferguson vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov bout has failed to come to fruition.

With that said, the one silver lining for fight fans is that current UFC featherweight champion Max Holloway has agreed to fill in for the injured “El Cucuy” and will now square off with Khabib Nurmagomedov next weekend for the promotions lightweight championship.

UFC President Dana White announced the news on Twitter:

As for the injured Tony Ferguson, Dana White recently revealed to ESPN’s Brett Okamoto that his interim lightweight title will now “go away”.

“El Cucuy” took to Instagram moments ago where he issued the following emotional statement on his UFC 223 removal.

“Words can’t explain how hurt, frustrated and angry and in disbelief I am right now. As I was completing my UFC Pre-Fight Media obligations on Friday I had an accident on a studio set that tore a ligiment in my knee. My doctor and the UFC doctor both said I can’t fight and one is saying I need surgery, so I will see a specialist to make the final determination on how I can heal up and get back in there to defend my belt ASAP. I want to apologize to all the fans, the UFC, Khabib, my teammates, my coaches, my friends and most importantly my family. Happy Easter to everyone out there, I believe there is a silver lining in this nightmare of reality, because this ain’t an Aprils Fools. Good health and blessings to you all!” – Tony Ferguson

This article appeared first on BJPENN.COM