Earlier this year, we learned that Canadian MMA superstar Georges St-Pierre was interested in making a return to the Octagon. This prospective comeback would mark the former welterweight champion’s first steps into the cage since a razor thin title fight with Johny Hendricks back in 2013.
Though St-Pierre initially expressed interest in a jump to middleweight for a fight with reigning champion Michael Bisping, more recent rumors have suggested other possible opponents for the returning great. Fellow welterweight star Nick Diaz, for example, has been named as a potential opponent for the Canadian talent. So too has middleweight legend Anderson Silva who, for many years, stood shoulder-to-shoulder with St-Pierre atop MMA’s pound-for-pound list.
UFC president Dana White has done his best to stamp out any rumors surrounding St-Pierre’s comeback. Despite White’s efforts however, fans remain optimistic that the former welterweight king could return to action quite soon – perhaps as soon as December 10, when the UFC will take over Toronto, Ontario, Canada with UFC 206.
In a recent appearance on Quebec’s RDS (translated by Benjamin Denizon), St-Pierre shed a bit of light on his comeback negotiations.
“For the moment I cannot say anything, but you’re going to hear in the coming weeks, I assure you,” he said of his comeback.
The Canadian also explained that, in terms of comeback negotiations, the ball is entirely in the UFC’s court. He is, however, optimistic that he’ll have some good news to share in a few weeks.
“It is in the hands of the UFC,” he said of his comeback. “They have the final decision. It’s a little complicated but you will have news in a few weeks maximum.”
When do you think St-Pierre will make his long discussed comeback? Sound off, PENN Nation!This article appeared first on BJPENN.COM