Amanda Nunes issues first statement following removal from UFC 213
The mixed martial arts world was left in shock earlier this afternoon when current UFC women’s bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes announced that she would not be competing in her scheduled UFC 213 main event title fight with top contender Valentina Shevchenko due to illness.
Although “The Lioness” was cleared by doctors to participate in the highly anticipated rematch with Shevchenko, Nunes opted to pullout of the fight as she was not feeling anywhere close to 100%.
With that said, UFC President Dana White told ESPN that the promotion would be “taking care of Shevchenko” and that the UFC was already working on rescheduling the fight for September’s UFC 215 event in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
During tonight’s UFC 213 broadcast, where Robert Whittaker defeated Yoel Romero via decision to capture the UFC’s interim middleweight title, Amanda Nunes took to Twitter where she issued the following statement to her fans and Valentina Shevchenko.
Sorry to all my true fans. The fight will be rescheduled and I will be back at 100%. Essa luta vai ser remarcada e estarei 100% pic.twitter.com/8WEttqMUgM
— Amanda Nunes (@Amanda_Leoa) July 9, 2017
“Sorry to all my true fans. The fight will be rescheduled and I will be back at 100%. Essa luta vai ser remarcada e estarei 100%”
Who do you think will emerge victorious when Shevchenko and Nunes finally rematch, possibly at UFC 215? Sound off PENN Nation!