Last night, in the co-main event of UFC Fortaleza on ESPN+, former UFC featherweight champ and bona fide MMA legend Jose Aldo picked up another huge win, this time at the expense of Renato Moicano, who he dispatched with a volley of second-round punches.
This victory generated reactions from many MMA stars — including several of Aldo’s rivals in Conor McGregor, Brian Ortega, Alexander Volkanovski and reigning featherweight champ Max Holloway.
Speaking at Saturday’s post-fight press conference, Jose Aldo responded to each of these comments (via MMA Fighting).
First, he addressed a comment from Conor McGregor, who claims he wants to fight in Brazil.
“What an amazing atmosphere at UFC Brazil tonight,” Conor McGregor wrote on Twitter. “I would LOVE to compete there for all the passionate Brazilian fans at some stage of my career. I was so close to securing a bout in Rio last year. It was essentially a done deal. Maybe next time. Ui Vai Morrer!!!! I’m still here.”
“To me it would be great,” Jose Aldo said in response, discussing a potential rematch with McGregor in Brazil. “I don’t know if this fight he said [would be] in Rio, it didn’t get to me, but if I have that opportunity at the division above, that way I don’t have to suffer through the weight cut, I think it would be a great fight.
“I think in the first fight we weren’t able to show my work. He connected with a great punch, but if you have another opportunity, I think the story’s going to be different.”
Next, Jose Aldo addressed a post-fight callout from Brian Ortega.
“Well let’s start negotiating,” Ortega wrote on Twitter after Aldo’s win.
“Of course,” Aldo said in response to a potential fight with Ortega. “Anyone here who is well-ranked would be a great fight. I put about 15 names in front of Dana (White) and asked him what was the real situation, … so I gave him a list of names and all those in that list, I’d like to face them someday.”
Jose Aldo also addressed a callout from streaking contender Alexander Volkanovski. While he didn’t seem clear on who Volkanovski is, he seems open to the idea of fighting him at UFC 237 in Curitiba.
“Well done [Jose Aldo],” Volkanovski write. “Let me know if you’re looking for a quick turn around.”
“Sorry,” Aldo replied. “Sorry to that guy. I don’t know, you can be sure that if you want to fight in Curitiba, if I have the opportunity, I’m in.”
Finally, Jose Aldo addressed a message of congratulations from the reigning champ Max Holloway — a man he’s lost to twice.
“Not just king of Rio. King of Brazil,” Holloway wrote on Twitter. “King of defending champs. Congrats Ze Aldo. Nothing but love for you my bratha.”
“I think he’s a true champion,” Aldo said in response to this comment from Holloway. “I’m happy about it because he deserves to be there, he deserves to be the champion. He achieved it, he’s battled from the beginning. He came into the UFC very young and I think that he conquered that. I have a lot of respect for him.
“He’s got a great story. He’s got a kid too, just like me, I have my family. So we defend that and I’m very happy and I wish him all the best at featherweight or at lightweight. I hope that he continues with his victorious path, always healthy.”
What do you think the future holds for Jose Aldo after UFC Fortaleza?
This article first appeared on BJPENN.COM on 2/3/2019.This article appeared first on BJPENN.COM