The stacked UFC 233 card that will kick off the UFC’s 2019 pay-per-view cards has been forced to share the love as a highly anticipated bout has been moved to an earlier date.
On January 26 at the Anaheim, California event, the former KSW champion and consensus top 10 worldwide flyweight, “The Violence Queen” Ariane Lipski (11-3) was set to make her long-awaited debut against the always entertaining and resurgent Joanne “JoJo” Calderwood (12-3).
However, BJPenn.com‘s own Drake Riggs has now confirmed that the fight has been moved to UFC Brooklyn which takes place one week earlier on January 19.
— Drake Riggs (@DrakeRiggs_) December 2, 2018
Can now confirm that Calderwood vs Lipski has indeed been moved from #UFC233 to #UFCBrooklyn.
Seeing how stacked the big UFC 233 event was and is looking to be, it makes some sense as to why they would take off one of the best fights on the card and move it to their ESPN+ debut card in Brooklyn.
For Calderwood, her last time out came in August when she returned from a year-long layoff to return to 125-pounds. She would defeat Kalindra Faria via first-round submission (triangle armbar). This was JoJo’s first submission win of her career.
As for the Violence Queen, Ariane Lipski, her last fight for KSW came at KSW 42 in March when she defended her title for the second time by defeating Silvana Gomes Juarez via unanimous decision.
In regards to UFC 233 and UFC Brooklyn, here’s how the two stack up at the moment (not all bouts have yet to be made official).
UFC Brooklyn – Jan 19
- Flyweight – 125lbs: Joanne Calderwood vs. Ariane Lipski
- Flyweight: Paige VanZant vs. Rachael Ostovich
- Welterweight – 170lbs: Belal Muhammad vs. Geoff Neal
- Light Heavyweight – 205lbs: Glover Teixeira vs. Ion Cuțelaba
- Light Heavyweight: Alonzo Menifield vs. Vinicius Castro
- Welterweight – 170lbs: Randy Brown vs. Chance Rencountre
UFC 233 – Jan 26
- Flyweight: (C)Henry Cejudo vs (BW C)TJ Dillashaw
- Welterweight: Robbie Lawler vs Ben Askren
- Bantamweight – 135lbs: Dominick Cruz vs John Lineker
- Lightweight – 155lbs: James Vick vs Paul Felder
- Featherweight – 145lbs: Kron Gracie vs Alex Caceres
- Bantamweight: Marion Reneau vs Yana Kunitskaya
- Lightweight: Alexander Hernandez vs Francisco Trinaldo
- Middleweight – 185lbs: Markus Perez vs Anthony Hernandez
- Strawweight – 115lbs: Alexandra Albu vs Emily Whitmire
- Strawweight: Cynthia Calvillo vs Cortney Casey
This article first appeared on BJPenn.com on 12/2/2018