After being cleared of charges, Nick Diaz is “focusing on his return”

Nick Diaz

Yesterday afternoon, we learned that the domestic violence charges against former Strikeforce welterweight champion Nick Diaz had been dismissed by the Las Vegas, Nevada District Attorney’s office.

“[Diaz is] grateful the District Attorney’s office was fair and thoughtful in reviewing this case based on the evidence,” Diaz’s attorney Ross Goodman said in a statement to ESPN.

“I trust that the ultimate dismissal of all charges with prejudice will be viewed as total vindication for Nick and clears his name from being associated with such horrific but false allegations.”

With this unfortunate issue in the rear-view mirror, Diaz would seem to be free to compete again, if he so chooses.

From the sounds of it, the elder Diaz brother is most definitely interested in fighting again.

Speaking on Twitter on Thursday evening, Nick Diaz issued a statement on his legal situation, and assured that he’s focused on his return.

“Im grateful this case is finally over, I want to thank my team and my lawyer Ross Goodman for the excellent work,” Nick Diaz said on his official Twitter account. “But most importantly, I want to thank the fans that stuck by me throughout this process. I’m happy to put this chapter of my life behind me and I’m looking forward to focusing on my return.”

Nick Diaz has not fought since a January, 2015 fight with Anderson Silva. This bout was originally a unanimous decision win for Silva, but this result was overturned when Silva failed a drug test. In his next most recent bouts, Diaz gave up decisions to Georges St-Pierre and Carlos Condit. His last victory occurred in October of 2011, when he defeated BJ Penn by decision. He is currently 26-9 (2) overall.

Who do you want to see Nick Diaz fight if he returns to the Octagon?

This article first appeared on BJPENN.COM on 8/31/2018.