The big fight is finally a done deal. After months of conflicting rumors and reports, undefeated boxing star Floyd Mayweather and UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor have signed on the dotted line. The two will meet in the boxing ring on August 28, inside the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. Their fight will occur at 154 pounds. They will fight in 10 oz. gloves for a maximum of 12 rounds.
Unsurprisingly, the news that this fight had been made official sent a shockwave through the combat sports world. Many fans, pundits and fighters celebrated it. Others criticized it, calling it a freak show, and pointing out the disastrous implications it could have for both MMA and boxing. And then there are those that want a piece of the pie…
With Mayweather vs. McGregor official, many top fighters have begun campaigning for fights on the undercard of the event.
One fighter to do so is UFC heavyweight champion Stipe Miocic, who doubled-down on previous callouts of boxing champ Anthony Joshua.
— Stipe Miocic (@stipemiocicufc) June 14, 2017
“Hey [Anthony Joshua], let’s have a proper tussle and still have time for tea and crumpets before the main event,” Miocic said to Joshua on Twitter.
Another fighter to jockey for a place on the card is UFC featherweight Cub Swanson, who has flirted with a move to the boxing ring in the past. He took to Twitter to angle for a fight with Paul Malignaggi.
— Cub Swanson (@CubSwanson) June 15, 2017
“Hey [Paul Malignaggi], talk to [Floyd Mayweather] and his people,” Swanson said. “I’ve already let the UFC know I’m down to scrap.”
Finally, UFC featherweight star Cris “Cyborg” Justino also jockeyed for a spot on the card, taking to Twitter to call for a fight with Cecilia Brækhus.
— #UFC214 #LetsGoChamp (@criscyborg) June 14, 2017
Do you think either of these fights will actually go down on the Mayweather vs. McGregor undercard?
This article first appeared on BJPenn.com on 6/14/2017.