WSOF 34 results: all 4 champions retain their titles in New York City
On New Years Eve, Las Vegas based promotion World Series of Fighting touched down in New York City for their biggest card to date. Emanating from The Theatre at Madison Square Garden, this card was highlighted by a whopping four title fights, and appearances from a handful of notable UFC veterans.
The first of these title fights saw UFC veteran David Branch (20-3), who currently holds the WSOF light heavyweight and middleweight titles, attempt to defend the latter against Louis Taylor (13-4). The two-division champ did so with flying colors, finishing his foe off with a rear-naked choke in the fifth round.
The next of WSOF 34’s four title fights occurred in the bantamweight division, where dominant champion Marlon (18-4-1) Moraes took on challenger Josenaldo Silva (25-5). It was a quick one, as Silva injured his leg in the fight’s first round, which resulted in a TKO win for the champ.
The third of WSOF 34’s three title fights occurred at welterweight, where former UFC title challenger Jon Fitch (29-7-1) attempted to defend his title against unheralded welterweight great Jake Shields (31-9-1). In a result that registered as a minor upset, Fitch dominated Shields to a unanimous decision win. In the wake of this win, Fitch hinted at a possible retirement from competition.
WSOF’s final title fight saw homegrown star Justin Gaethje attempt to defend the lightweight title against Luiz Firmino, a veteran of Pride, Dream and The Ultimate Fighter. The fight went down as an absolute war. In the end, however, Gaethje accomplished his mission by bludgeoning Firmino’s eye until the doctor was supposed to stop the contest between the third and fourth rounds. With the win, Gaethje reminds the world of his status as one of the very best lightweights outside the UFC.
Other highlights of WSOF 34 saw former UFC middleweight title contender Yushin Okami score a split decision over fellow UFC vet Paul Bradly, and 38-year-old Brazilian heavyweight Caio Alencar score a thunderous first-round KO over former ranked UFC heavyweight Jared Rosholt.
Here are the full WSOF 34 results:
The main card
- Paul Bradley vs. Yushin Okami
- Champ Justin Gaethje def. Luiz Firmino via TKO (doctor stoppage)
- Champ Jon Fitch def. Jake Shields via unanimous decision
- Champ Marlon Moraes def. Josenaldo Silva via TKO (leg injury)
- Caio Alencar def. Jared Rosholt via knockout (punches)
- Champ David Branch def. Louis Taylor via submission (rear-naked choke)
- Smealinho Rama def. Jake Huen via TKO (strikes)
The Early Prelims
- Shane Kruchten def. Jeremy Mahon via unanimous decision
- Bruno Santos def. Vagab Vagabov via split decision
- Andre Harrison def. Bruce Boyington via submission (rear-naked choke)
- Tom Marcellino def. Matt Denning via submission (armbar)
Topics:World Series Of Fighting