Former UFC heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos continued his comeback tour at UFC Wichita on Saturday night, when he clobbered recent title challenger Derrick Lewis to a second-round TKO.
With this victory, dos Santos is now on an impressive three-fight streak. He’s likely now only a win or two away from another shot at heavyweight gold, and could probably earn himself a shot with a big win over the right opponent.
He’s already got an opponent in mind.
Shortly after the UFC Wichita main event, former title challenger Francis Ngannou took to Twitter where he seemingly reacted to dos Santos’ impressive handiwork.
Junior dos Santos welcomes the idea of a potential showdown with Francis Ngannou. The pair were briefly scheduled to collide previously, but the plan was derailed when dos Santos was sidelined by a potential USADA violation (he was subsequently cleared of all wrong-doing).
Today, the fight makes as much sense as ever.
“I think that would be great,” Dos Santos said on the UFC on ESPN+ 4 post-fight show (transcript via MMA Junkie). “It should’ve happened in the past, but because of something weird it didn’t happen. Maybe now it can happen.”
While Junior dos Santos is up for a fight with Francis Ngannou, he says his first priority is a short break to welcome his daughter to the world.
“Right now I need a break,” Dos Santos said. “I need to stay active that’s the most important thing right now. Before my career comes my family. My daughter is born in May. I need to get ready to receive her. … I’ll fight again maybe at the end of August.”
Who do you want to see Junior dos Santos fight next after his huge UFC Wichita win?
This article first appeared on BJPENN.COM on 3/10/2019.