The Frankie Edgar title shot campaign continued following UFC 196, where Conor McGregor was submitted by Nate Diaz in the main event. Following the loss, McGregor stated that he plans to drop back down to featherweight to defend his championship belt.
This opened the flood-gates for discussion regarding who would get the first crack at McGregor’s featherweight championship. While some want to see McGregor vs. Aldo II, Frankie Edgar wants the title shot that was promised to him after he knocked out Chad Mendes at the TUF 22 finale back in December.
It is important to mention that prior to UFC 196, McGregor stated that he had committed to a fight at UFC 200, however no opponent had been named.
Edgar spoke to Fox Sports to discuss the situation, and continue his campaign for a title shot.
This article appeared first on BJPENN.COM
“Everyone’s drinking the Conor Kool-Aid,” Edgar said. “It’s easy to do. The media builds him up. The UFC builds him up and he does go out there and perform, but I see what Chad Mendes did to him. I see what Nate Diaz did to him. I know I can do those things.”
“If you want redemption, go in there and fight the guy that poses a serious threat. Not the guy you just knocked out. He wants to prove to everybody this fight with Nate was a fluke? Fight a guy that can do the same thing to him. If Conor wants to show everybody he’s the king like he says, fight me. If you want to silence the doubters, you don’t do it against a guy you just beat. You do it against a guy that poses the biggest threat and especially after the way he lost on Saturday night. I can stand with Conor, too. That’s the other thing. I’m not going to sit there and just wrestle (expletive) him.”