Dana White on Georges St-Pierre’s lightweight title talk: “pick a division”

Georges St-Pierre

Last week, at a press conference in Australia, former UFC welterweight and middleweight champion Georges St-Pierre shared his interest in dropping down to lightweight to battle the winner of Khabib Nurmagomedov and Conor McGregor‘s UFC 229 lightweight title fight (see St-Pierre’s prediction for the fight here).

“I would be interested in that fight,” St-Pierre said. “That’s a win-win situation. It’s a legacy upgrade and it’s good money — it’s gonna be a big fight. Yeah. However, I fought at 170, I relinquished a title. I fought at 185, I relinquished a title. I don’t think UFC will let me fight for the title at 155. They will be afraid I relinquish and I left the division in ruins.

“From my perspective, it’s a very winning situation. For UFC, it’s a big risk for them. Like I said, I’m older. I know Khabib, I’ve met Khabib many times. Khabib is actually bigger than me. He’s a bigger guy.”

According to UFC President Dana White, however, Georges St-Pierre probably won’t be getting this fight.

“Yeah, that’s probably not going to happen,” White told reporters after the final episode of this season’s Tuesday Night contender series ended (via MMAjunkie). “He gave up the 170-pound belt, he gave up the 185-pound belt. I mean it’s like – no. Pick a division.”

While White isn’t too interested in seeing Georges St-Pierre challenge the Nurmagomedov vs. McGregor winner, he is interested in getting him back in the Octagon soon — ideally when the UFC returns to Toronto on December 8.

“We haven’t talked, but it sounds like we will,” the UFC President said. “Toronto makes sense. Toronto wouldn’t be bad.”

If not Khabib Nurmagomedov or Conor McGregor, who would you like to see the former welterweight and middleweight champ Georges St-Pierre fight in his anticipated return to the Octagon? Maybe the UFC can sweeten the pot to convince him to fight this guy?

This article first appeared on BJPENN.COM on 8/7/2018.