Early on Friday morning, the 24 fighters on the UFC Adelaide bill stepped onto the scales to weigh in for their respective battles.
While all of these fighters made weight, the weigh ins did features some other drama, as co-headlining fighters Justin Willis and Mark Hunt were apparently involved in some kind of altercation back stage.
The trouble seemed to begin when Hunt and Willis squared off at the weigh-ins. The pair could be seen speaking and gesturing at each other.
The drama reportedly continued backstage. UFC Adelaide main event fighter Tai Tuivasa, who is a close friend and training parter of Mark Hunt, could be heard threatening to “smash” somebody from behind the curtain.
Some kind of incident just happened backstage at the weigh-in face-offs after Mark Hunt and Justin Willis had a heated face off.
Security sprung to action and Tai Tuivasa could be heard yelling: "Who the fuck do you think you are?!", "I'll fucken smash yous both!". pic.twitter.com/dG8WkiGn6z
— Submission Radio (@SubmissionRadio) November 30, 2018
Main card fighter Tyson Pedro, who is also a friend and stablemate of Mark Hunt, gave his take on the drama in an interview with Submission Radio.
“I think [Willis is] trying to pump himself up more than he’s trying to pump Mark up, and you don’t want a pumped up Mark. If anything that’s the worst thing you can do.”
“I’ve gone back and they’re trying to stop the fight, but you can’t disrespect our lead horse. We’re not promoting fighting outside of the Octagon, but don’t go and say that to our lead horse and then come out and say something about our team,” he added.
“I’m pretty sure he went at Mark and Tai was just there. Don’t go at our team; we’re all here and we’re in Australia so it’s probably not a good idea.”
Pushing all of this drama aside for a moment, here are the official weigh-in results for the UFC Adelaide card (via MMAjunkie):
UFC Adelaide Main Card | FS1, 10 p.m. ET
- Junior Dos Santos (255) vs. Tai Tuivasa (262)
- Tyson Pedro (205) vs. Mauricio Rua (206)
- Mark Hunt (264) vs. Justin Willis (263.5)
- Tony Martin (170) vs. Jake Matthews (171)
- Suman Mokhtarian (145) vs. Sodiq Yusuff (145)
- Paul Craig (206) vs. Jim Crute (205)
UFC Adelaide Prelims | FS1, 8 p.m. ET
- Alexey Kunchenko (170) vs. Yushin Okami (170)
- Ben Nguyen (125.5) vs. Wilson Reis (125.5)
- Keita Nakamura (171) vs. Salim Touahri (171)
- Kai Kara France (126) vs. Elias Garcia (124.5)
UFC Adelaide Early Prelims | UFC Fight Pass, 7 p.m. ET
- Christos Giagos (155) vs. Mizuto Hirota (156)
- Alex Gorgees (156) vs. Damir Ismagulov (155)
This article first appeared on BJPENN.COM on 11/29/2018.This article appeared first on BJPENN.COM