Bad news has begun to brew in regards to one of UFC 237’s big fights in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil on May 11. Learn how to watch UFC 237 here
Combate has reported that former UFC featherweight champion, Jose Aldo was hospitalized on Wednesday after suffering a small cut to his knee that led to a bacterial infection. According to the report, attempts at antibiotic treatments were unsuccessful until 24 hours later. His fever has since gone away.
At the moment, there is no knowledge as to when Aldo may be discharged from the hospital as he still needs to show some noticeable health improvements next week. Only then will he be released by doctors and cleared to fight at the event.
Aldo’s manager and head coach, Andre Pederneiras shared his confidence that the infection will not end up affecting their preparation in a large manner.
At UFC 237, Jose Aldo is set to take on rising Australian contender, Alexander “The Great” Volkanovski in the evening’s co-main event.
The former featherweight king has made it clear that he plans to finish up his current contract with two final bouts in his native Brazil before calling it a career. Meaning that this next fight would be his second to last. Aldo currently rides a very impressive two-fight winning streak that consists of back to back TKOs of Jeremy Stephens and Renato “Moicano” Carneiro.
As for the rest of UFC 237, it currently stands as follows.
- Strawweight – 115lbs: (C)Rose Namajunas vs. Jéssica Andrade
- Featherweight – 145lbs: José Aldo vs. Alexander Volkanovski
- Middleweight – 185lbs: Jared Cannonier vs. Anderson Silva
- Light Heavyweight – 205lbs: Antônio Rogério Nogueira vs. Ryan Spann
- Welterweight – 170lbs: Thiago Alves vs. Laureano Staropoli
- Bantamweight – 135lbs: Bethe Correia vs. Irene Aldana
- Bantamweight: Talita Bernardo vs. Jessica-Rose Clark
- Flyweight – 125lbs: Wu Yanan vs. Luana Carolina
- Lightweight – 155lbs: BJ Penn vs. Clay Guida
- Bantamweight: Raoni Barcelos vs. Said Nurmagomedov
- Welterweight: Warlley Alves vs. Alberto Mina
This article first appeared on BJPenn.com on 3/22/2019