Early in 2017, the UFC announced that former welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre would be returning to the Octagon in 2017 to challenge UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping for the middleweight title. The promotion held a press conference with both men, where the pair exchanged barbs regarding their highly anticipated scrap. With that being said however, no information was given in regards to when the fight would take place.
Michael Bisping then revealed that if St-Pierre was not prepared to fight in July, he would be taking away St-Pierre’s title shot and giving it to Yoel Romero:
“So long story short it looks as if GSP is trying to push for a later date (then July 8). I have heard rumors of that a while ago from Ariel Helwani. I heard that he wanted like September or October and that is what the UFC told me as well. But I am just throwing it out there right now. If he (GSP) wants to wait until September or October, then he can go find himself another opponent.”
“If he’s not ready then I guess Yoel Romero gets his title shot! Listen I am not afraid of Yoel Romero. If GSP wants to fight then of course, there is a great storyline there. The fight would do great business. But I am not willing to sit around and he’s not calling the shots. I am the champ.”
While there had been no word from St-Pierre regarding Bisping’s comments, UFC President Dana White revealed in an interview with Aaron Bronsteter that he would likely have news regarding the scrap sooner rather than later.
“I’m anticipating and anxiously waiting for a day, too. We’re waiting. There’s some things we have to wait for. I’m assuming probably another week I should have a date.”
“If it’s up to me, it’ll be in Vegas, yes, July 8.”
This article first appeared on BJPenn.com on 4/8/2017.This article appeared first on BJPENN.COM