It may not compare to last year’s UFC debut at Madison Square Garden, but UFC 217 is definitely stacked. According to Jorge Masvidal, after a little bit of social media trash talk, the huge event just got more violent. On his Twitter, Gamebred announced that he and “Wonderbread” Stephen Thompson will fight each other to see who can get back in the title contention. Holy crap, it’s going to be Miami backyard brawlin’ going toe-to-head with down South Karate.
— Jorge Masvidal UFC (@GamebredFighter) August 17, 2017
The bout order hasn’t been resolved yet and anything is bound to happen between now and then, but with two championship fights on the line, Jorge Masvidal (#4) and Stephen Thompson’s (#1) clash might land right before them. Both are coming off loses — Masvidal to title challenger Demian Maia and Thompson to the champion himself — so the one with the win here get right back up there with Tyron Woodley to see who can challenge for that UFC welterweight gold.
UFC 217 card so far:
- Michael Bisping (c) vs Georges St-Pierre
- Cody Garbrandt (c) vs TJ Dillashaw
- Jorge Masvidal vs Stephen Thompson
- Aiemann Zahabi vs Ricardo Ramos
- Johny Hendricks vs Paulo Borrachinha
- Oleksiy Olynik vs Curtis Blaydes
- Gadzhimurad Antigulov vs Ion Cuteleba
- Corey Anderson vs Patrick Cummins
This article first appeared on BJPenn.com on 8/17/2017.This article appeared first on BJPENN.COM