Earlier this month, in the main event of Chael Sonnen’s Submission Underground 2, former UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones submitted former two-division Pride champion Dan Henderson with an arm-triangle choke.
With this win in Sonnen’s grappling promotion, Jones is now fielding callouts from BJJ blackbelts of all descriptions and origins, all of whom are eager for the chance to take him on in a grappling match.
Man, such a big target on my back. Got all these black belts out to get me. Who's tapping next #SUG3
— Jon Bones Jones (@JonnyBones) December 19, 2016
“Man, such a big target on my back,” Jones said in a Monday evening Tweet. “Got all these black belts out to get me. Who’s tapping next?
This Tweet from Jones prompted responses from a who’s-who list of the jiu jitsu world, including modern greats like Garry Tonon and Conor McGregor training partner Dillon Danis.
— Garry Tonon (@Garry_Tonon) December 19, 2016
— Dillon Danis (@dillondanis) December 19, 2016
In the wake of his win, Jones has also received callouts from some of MMA’s finest grappling specialists, including recent WSOF light heavyweight title challenger Vinny Magalhaes and upcoming WSOF welterweight title challenger Jake Shields.
— Vinny Magalhães (@VinnyMMA) December 20, 2016
I would love the honor to compete against you!
— Jake Shields (@jakeshieldsajj) December 19, 2016
Jones also received a callout from friend and former UFC heavyweight champion Frank Mir, who is currently in the midst of a PED-related suspension.
“I was under the assumption that if you are serving a suspension then you can’t compete in anything,” Mir recently told FloCombat.com.” Jon has a suspension from both an athletic commission and from the UFC and was able to go compete. I guess not, though. So I guess I’ll be competing this year in grappling competitions to one, just help quench my thirst for competition and [secondly] it’s just something I can make myself sharp at and get back into it so I’m not just jumping back into fighting after a year off. Jon and I are friends and stuff so to compete against him would be fun.”
And then, of course, there was the first of the callouts Jones received after tapping Henderson, which came from former UFC middleweight champion Luke Rockhold.
— Luke Rockhold (@LukeRockhold) December 12, 2016
Jones, of course, made a callout of his own immediately after his win over Henderson, challenging Sonnen to a grappling match at January’s Submission Underground 3. Sonnen quickly accepted this challenge.
Who would you like to see Jon Jones take on in the SUG cage next? Sound off, PENN Nation!