Way back in the year 2012, light heavyweight legends Jon “Bones” Jones and Dan Henderson were expected to fight for the UFC light heavyweight title in the main event of UFC 151. Unfortunately, “Hendo” was forced out of this proposed bout with an injury, which ultimately resulted in the cancellation of the entire card.
In the years since then, its been hard not to wonder what might have happened if the two light heavyweight legends had fought as planned. On Sunday night, we got our answer – sort of.
In the main event of Chael Sonnen’s Submission Underground 2, Jones and Hendo stepped into the cage together for a submission grappling match. After an entertaining start to the match, Jones was able to lock up an arm triangle choke for the win.
In the moments after his submission of Henderson, Jones took to the mic to call out Sonnen, challenging him to a grappling match at Submission Underground 3, which is scheduled for January 29.
“I’m thinking me and you, Chael, should do a little something something,” he said.
Sonnen, who has never been one to back down from a challenge, quickly accepted this challenge.
“In that case, I will see you January 29,” he said.
The two fan favorites, of course, have plenty of history together. After coaching a season of The Ultimate Fighter against each other, they fought for the UFC light heavyweight title in the main event of 2013’s UFC 159. Jones would win this fight via first-round TKO. Whether he’s able to submit Sonnen at SUG 3, of course, remains to be seen.
One detail that is worth noting, however, is that this proposed grappling match will occur just 8 days after Sonnen’s Bellator 170 showdown with Tito Ortiz. If he sustains any injuries in this fight, he may not be able to compete against Jones.
Who do you think wins this proposed Jones vs. Sonnen grappling match? Sound off, PENN Nation!This article appeared first on BJPENN.COM