Georges St-Pierre’s fate has been determined
Former UFC welterweight kingpin Georges St-Pierre (25-2 MMA) was originally slated to make his long awaited octagon return this summer in a middleweight title fight opposite current division champion Michael Bisping.
Unfortunately for fight fans hoping to watch “Rush” square off with “The Count”, the proposed fight was delayed due to a lingering eye injury suffered by the Canadian star.
Now it appears that Michael Bisping vs. Georges St-Pierre bout has been scrapped entirely as UFC president revealed to MMAJunkie that the promotion has a new plan for the former welterweight champion of the world.
“Georges and I talked a couple days ago when he was in Vegas,” White said in an exclusive interview at UFC headquarters. “Georges is saying he wants to fight; we’ll get this thing figured out. We’re talking about Tyron Woodley and Demian Maia. These two are going to fight soon. That will free up the 170-pound champion for Georges St-Pierre to return and try to regain his belt.”
News broke earlier this evening that current welterweight title holder Tyron Woodley would be defending his title against top division contender Demian Maia in the co-main event of UFC 214 on July 29 in Anaheim, California.
With that said, Georges St-Pierre will now meet the winner of the newly announced Woodley vs. Maia matchup.
The timing would work very well for “GSP” to return to the cage against the Maia vs. Woodley winner at Madison Square Garden this November in New York.
St-Pierre was last seen in action at UFC 167 in November of 2013, where he earned a split-decision victory over Johny Hendricks.
“GSP” will return to action riding a current twelve-fight win streak, which includes victories over Nick Diaz, BJ Penn, Carlos Condit, Matt Serra, Jake Shields and Matt Hughes just to name a few.
What do you think of the news from UFC president Dana White? Sound off PENN Nation!This article appeared first on BJPENN.COM