Georges St-Pierre says he will be making a big announcement next week!
Former UFC welterweight kingpin Georges St-Pierre has not competed inside the octagon since his November of 2013 split-decision victory over Johny Hendricks at UFC 167 in Las Vegas.
The Canadian mixed martial arts legend, St-Pierre, recently spoke with Quebec sports media outlet “RDS” where he claimed that a big announcement is coming next week.
on quebec sports media outlet rds today , gsp said they'll be a big announcement next week.
— Andrew F (@matteobenjamin) October 6, 2016
French TV interview GSP stated he'd be making a big announcement next week https://t.co/zv0wJj3vG9
— #Dizz (@TalkMMA) October 6, 2016
However, as we all know by now “Mystic Mac” will be challenging Eddie Alvarez for the UFC lightweight title in the main event of November’s blockbuster UFC 205 fight card in New York.
Another name that had sparked St. Pierre’s interest was current UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley. Unfortunately, “The Chosen One” already has a fight booked, as he will also be fighting at UFC 205, defending his title for the first time against surging contender Stephen Thompson.
With Tyron Woodley and Conor McGregor both scratched from the possible list of opponents for GSP’s return, it appears that a rematch with Nick Diaz could be in the works.
Diaz and St-Pierre have a history, having fought at UFC 158 in March of 2013, with “GSP” emerging victorious by way of unanimous decision.
Nick Diaz has not competed in mixed martial arts since suffering a decision loss to former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva at UFC 183 in January of 2015. That fight was eventually ruled a no-contest, this after “The Spider” tested positive for steroids. In addition, Diaz tested positive for marijuana metabolites and was served with an 18-month suspension by the NSAC.
Earlier this evening the UFC announced that Daniel Cormier would be defending his light heavyweight title in a rematch against Anthony Johnson at December’s UFC 206 event in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
However, the “DC” vs. “Rumble” rematch was not announced as the December 10 pay-per-view fight card’s main event. Which means the door is still open for St-Pierre to headline the Canada-based event.
Current UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping, who will defend his title against Dan Henderson this weekend in Manchester, has also expressed his desire to fight St-Pierre. “The Count” stated that he would be willing to make a quick turnaround to fight “Rush” at UFC 206, this if he comes out of the “Hendo” fight unscathed.
Who are you hoping to see Georges St-Pierre square off with when he makes his highly anticipated octagon return? Sound off PENN Nation!
Topics:Georges St. Pierre