Shortly after his UFC Fight Night 110 TKO loss to Mark Hunt, heavyweight contender Derrick Lewis surprised the MMA community by announcing that he may have fought his last fight in MMA. On Monday’s edition of The MMA Hour, however, Lewis confirmed that he will probably fight again – and soon.
“We’re just hoping that we don’t have to get surgery, because I thought about it a little bit, and it’s not going to be my last fight,” Lewis said. “I’m going to try to get back in there as soon as I can, and we’ll find out Wednesday, see what’s going on and if it’s not too serious. Hopefully I can get back in there before the end of the year.”
Lewis then explained that he realized his “heat of the moment” retirement announcement had been premature when he was called out, post-loss, by Francis Ngannou and Travis Browne.
“Whenever the booty-scratcher [Ngannou] started talking sh*t, and Travis Browne waking up from the dead, talking sh*t,” Lewis said.
“That guy [Ngannou] is not impressed with nobody, so it’s normal for him to say anything stupid. … Travis Browne don’t know what’s he thinking. Travis, he’s out there, man. That guy has been knocked out so many times, he’s been rocked so many times, he don’t know what to say. He’s just trying to stay relevant.”
Lewis then explained that he considers Ngannou the ideal opponent for his next fight, but that he’d be willing to fight anyone next.
“If I can, I’d get him next,” Lewis said. “If not, that’s fine. I’ll give anyone hell, but right now that’d be a good one.”
Francis Ngannou is currently rumored for a late-summer bout with Junior Dos Santos. Do you want to see him fight Derrick Lewis instead?
This article first appeared on BJPenn.com on 6/27/2017.This article appeared first on BJPENN.COM