Nate Diaz has not fought since he gave up a hotly contested majority decision to Conor McGregor in 2016. That being said, the Stockton-based lightweight is still doing what he needs to do to ensure he’s eligible to fight in the UFC’s Octagon — namely submitting samples to the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA).
According to TSN’s Aaron Bronsteter, Diaz recently submitted his first USADA sample of the year 2019.
In the latest round of USADA testing, Nate Diaz submitted his first sample of 2019.
— Aaron Bronsteter (@aaronbronsteter) May 10, 2019
While Nate Diaz has not fought in nearly three years, his rivalry with Conor McGregor — now split at a win apiece — means that he is still very much a part of the conversation in the lightweight division. The former title challenger could conceivably be booked for a lucrative trilogy fight with the Irish superstar at any moment.
That being said, the UFC’s last attempt at booking Diaz for a fight did not involve McGregor. The lightweight star was briefly expected to return to the cage at UFC 230 in November in New York, where he was scheduled to fight Dustin Poirier. Regrettably, a Poirier injury nixed this plan, sending Diaz back to the sidelines.
While Diaz has not been linked to any MMA bouts since then, he recently expressed interest in taking his service to the boxing ring in the immediate lead-up to to Canelo Alvarez’s early May victory over Daniel Jacobs.
“I should be boxing these guys,” Diaz wrote on Instagram. “I’m stuck in a cage though.”
Despite his dreams of migrating to the boxing ring, it’s clear that Nate Diaz is keeping the door ajar for a potential return to the UFC’s Octagon.
Time will tell whether the promotion can coax him back to the cage.
This article first appeared on BJPENN.COM on 5/10/2019.