From the sounds of it, former UFC welterweight and middleweight champion Georges St-Pierre could be the next mixed martial arts star to make the jump to pro wrestling — although perhaps only on a one-off basis.
St-Pierre claims WWE approached him at the ESPN awards, and that he directed them to contact his management. Based on his comments, it seems like some kind of deal could potentially be reached with the pro wrestling institution, although the Canadian legend clarified that he is not interested in a full-time wrestling career.
“It’s a form of competition and I do not know if I’m ready to go back into it,” Georges St-Pierre told TVA sports in French (via SEScoops). “If I accept, it will be for a special event.”
“I don’t know if I’d want to sign a contract and do it every week and making it a living,” he added. “They wanted to contact my agents, I gave them their number, but I don’t want to switch to wrestling full time.”
— TVA Sports (@TVASports) May 27, 2019
Georges St-Pierre discusses his retirement from MMA:
In the same interview, Georges St-Pierre discussed his decision to retire from mixed martial arts, which followed a submission to defeat of Michael Bisping. As he’s suggested previously, it had a lot to do with the mental strains of fighting.
“My biggest fear was not the punches,” he said. “Often, the damage to the head comes from how one trains. In my case, my biggest fear was the stress I was feeling. We know that it can cause cancer.”
With his defeat of Bisping, St-Pierre claimed the UFC middleweight strap. Given that he previously held the UFC welterweight title, this made him one of just a few fighters in UFC history to capture titles in two divisions. The only others to accomplish this feat so far are Randy Couture, BJ Penn, Conor McGregor, Daniel Cormier and Amanda Nunes. UFC flyweight champion Henry Cejudo will attempt to capture the bantamweight title in June. He would join this rarified air in victory.
This article first appeared on BJPENN.COM on 5/31/2019.