Dustin Poirier makes interesting claim about cancelled Nate Diaz fight

Dustin Poirier, Nate Diaz

Streaking UFC lightweight contender Dustin Poirier was briefly scheduled to return to the cage opposite Nate Diaz at UFC 230 in early November, but unfortunately, that plan was derailed when he sustained a hip injury that forced him off the card. At least, that’s what we thought.

Responding to a fan on Twitter on Sunday afternoon, Dustin Poirier claimed that, by the time he withdrew from the card with a hip injury, Nate Diaz had already dropped out of the matchup himself.

“He pulled out before my hip was injured,” Poirier wrote. “The fight wasn’t happening.”

Dustin Poirier also discussed some of the options for his next fight. While his priority is a UFC lightweight title shot, he says he’d be willing to accept other matchups for the right price.

“I’m ready just waiting to see what the boss wants to do,” he wrote in response to one fan.

“Honestly I’d fight anyone if the price is right,” he added in response to another fan.

“I want a shot at gold,” he added in another Tweet. “I’ll do anything it takes to get it but I’m a prize fighter if the prize is right I’ll fight anyone. I’ve been in Florida for a few weeks working on my craft. Hopefully in the next week I get something booked.”

While Dustin Poirier seems open to many possibilities at lightweight, there is one thing he says is out of the question: a return to the 145-pound featherweight division.

“I have a lot of respect for Max [Holloway],” he said, referencing the UFC featherweight champ. “It would be a fun fight but I will never fight at 145lbs again.”

What do you think of this claim from Dustin Poirier? Do you think Nate Diaz actually pulled out of their planned UFC 230 fight first?

This article first appeared on BJPENN.COM on 1/20/2019.