Daniel Cormier, Stipe Miocic get heated over talk of potential rematch

Stipe Miocic, Daniel Cormier, UFC 226

Daniel Cormier will attempt his first defense of the UFC heavyweight title against hulking knockout artist Derrick Lewis at UFC 230 on November 3. That’s thanks to some last-minute scrambling from the UFC brass, who had been struggling to create a fan-friendly main event for the card for weeks.

While fans seem to be pretty excited about this undeniably surprising Daniel Cormier vs. Derrick Lewis fight, former UFC heavyweight champion Stipe Miocic is not. Ever since he surrendered the heavyweight title to Cormier in July, he’s been adamant that he deserves a rematch on the basis of his record-breaking three-straight title defenses.

He even would have accepted that rematch with Cormier on short notice at UFC 230, he says.

“9 times out of 10 I beat DC,” Miocic said on Twitter on Tuesday. “Everyone knows it. DC knows it. No heavyweight has ever accomplished what I have.”

“Damn seems like I’ve knocked my guy [Stipe Miocic] silly,” Daniel Cormier quickly replied, assuring that, if Brock Lesnar isn’t available, Miocic will get the next shot after Lewis. “Come on my guy don’t be thirsty! We’re still good. You got next if Brock doesn’t make it!”

Miocic didn’t seem satisfied by this guarantee. In his eyes, Cormier should have accepted a fight with him at UFC 230 — not Lewis.

“You beat me that night,” Miocic said. “I respect that. But it would never happen again. I carried the torch in this division for a long time. I’ve been staying up all night with my new born daughter and I still offered to fight you nov 3 with ZERO camp weeks ago.”

With Daniel Cormier still planning to retire in March, do you think we’ll ever see him and Stipe Miocic fight again? Join the conversation in the comments section below.

This article first appeared on BJPENN.COM on 10/10/2018.