Conor McGregor says he will fight again in 2019

Conor McGregor

Back in October, former UFC lightweight and featherweight champion Conor McGregor finally returned to the Octagon, taking on reigning UFC lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov in his first mixed martial arts bout in more than two years. Unfortunately for McGregor and his throngs of fans, this return to action did not go as planned, as he was tapped out by Nurmagomedov in the fourth round.

Since then, Conor McGregor has claimed several times that he does plan on fighting again. Given the mountains of wealth he’s sitting on and the many side projects that keep him busy outside the cage, however, these claims are often met with a degree of skepticism.

Well, responding to a fan on Twitter on Sunday afternoon, McGregor once again confirmed his intention to fight again, casually mentioning that he’ll return to competition in 2019. That being said, his wording implies that he has not yet decided if his next fight will occur in the UFC’s Octagon or the boxing ring.

“2019 is when we launch in the U.K and Australia,” he said, teasing the release of his popular Irish whiskey Proper No. Twelve in new countries.

“2019 is when I will also be back inside the OctaRing,” he added. “We are very excited!”

Before Conor McGregor returns to the cage or ring, he will have to accept his punishment from the Nevada State Athletic Commission, which stems from his unfortunate, post-UFC 229 brawl with Khabib Nurmagomedov’s team.

Interestingly, however, he has recently been linked to a fight with Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone. While UFC President Dana White assures this fight isn’t happening, MMA podcaster Brendan Schaub claims he’s heard from a reliable source that it is very much in motion.

Do you think we’ll see Conor McGregor fight in 2019?

This article first appeared on BJPENN.COM on 11/26/2018.