Earlier this month, it was announced that fan favorite lightweight contender Nate Diaz will make his long-awaited return to the Octagon opposite top contender Dustin Poirier. The pair are expected to collide in the co-main event of UFC 230 on November 3 in New York City.
Late last week, the UFC held a massive press conference featuring all the stars of their upcoming shows — including Diaz and Poirier. The promotion also took this opportunity to announce a highly anticipated lightweight title fight between champ Khabib Nurmagomedov and challenger Conor McGregor. This news cast a massive shadow over everybody else at the press conference — including Diaz.
Diaz, who has been the biggest rival of McGregor’s career, didn’t appreciate this turn of events. The Stockton, California native promptly stormed off the stage and later Tweeted that he would not be fighting Poirier after all.
I’m not fighting on that show fuk the @ufc
— Nathan Diaz (@NateDiaz209) August 3, 2018
I’m not fighting on that show fuk the @ufc – Nate Diaz on Twitter.
When asked about this outburst from Nate Diaz, UFC President Dana White didn’t have much of answer, assuring that it wasn’t something he was concerned with, and that somebody else in the company will be handling it.
“It’s not my problem,” White said (via MMAJunkie).
While Nate Diaz then went quiet for a few days, he recently posted another Tweet that implies his problems with the UFC aren’t over yet.
I can’t commit when they actin like shit….
— Nathan Diaz (@NateDiaz209) August 8, 2018
“I can’t commit when they actin like shit…. ” – Nate Diaz on Twitter.
While there seems to be a legitimate chance that Nate Diaz bails on his UFC 230 fight with Dustin Poirier, Poirier doesn’t seem worried.
”I don’t believe the fight’s in jeopardy, no,” Poirier said on Ariel Helwani’s MMA Show (transcript via MMAMania). “I would have heard something. I have the bout agreement in my inbox, I’m about to sign it and send it off, so everything is moving forward like it was supposed to after the press conference. I think he was just upset with coming out to a press conference and then them advertising another fight, talking about Conor like he was there, when the guy’s not even present. I think he just felt disrespected.”
Do you think Nate Diaz can sort out his differences with the UFC? Do you expect his UFC 230 fight with Dustin Poirier to go ahead?
This article first appeared on BJPENN.COM on 8/7/2018.