Max Holloway’s team denies rumors that he suffered a stroke before UFC 226

Max Holloway

UFC featherweight champion Max Holloway was supposed to defend his title against Brian Ortega at UFC 226. Unfortunately, this plan was derailed when he was forced out of the fight with health problems.

Initial reports on Holloway’s withdrawal stated that he was dealing with “concussion-like symptoms” during fight week. Since then, however, rumors have surfaced suggesting that the featherweight champ suffered some kind of stroke ahead of the fight.

These rumors seem to have started with some comments from podcaster Brendan Schaub.

”I heard when he was cutting weight, I heard it got really scary,” Schaub said on his podcast (transcribed by MMAMania). “I heard it got so scary where a doctor was like, you know, this could be a sign of a small fuckin’ … not a heart attack, but stroke.”

According to Holloway’s team, however these rumors or simply not true.

“There have been rumors Max Holloway suffered some form of a stroke prior to UFC 226,” ESPN’s Brett Okamoto reported on Twitter on Sunday. “His manager Brian Butler told me there’s no truth to that today via text. He also said Max is feeling better and should be in a position to talk more soon.”

Holloway’s manager also gave a quick statement on the rumors.

“All I can say right now is we are not sure who’s trying to manipulate the media with stroke rumors,” he told Okamoto. “I can’t imagine what kind of doctors would discharge Max from the ER if they actually thought he had a stroke.”

Max Holloway recently visited Las Vegas to undergo a series of tests with respect to his health. Apparently, he’s “starting to feel better.”

“Back on the mainland for more exams,” Holloway said in a recent Instagram post. “Thanks [UFC] and docs for following through to try and figure this out. Starting to feel better.”

When do you think we’ll see Max Holloway back in the cage?

This article first appeared on BJPenn.com on 7/23/2018.