The UFC’s return to Orlando, which will see the Octagon touch down in the Amway Center this Saturday night, has been rocked by a last-minute fight cancellation, as Brazil’s Gilbert Burns has been pulled from his lightweight bout with Canada’s Olivier Aubin-Mercier. Burns was pulled from this contest amid concerns that he could safely cut the remaining pounds required to make the lightweight division’s 156-pound cap.
“Upon his arrival, the UFC medical team determined that it would be unsafe for Burns to cut additional weight necessary to meet the 156-pound limit,” the statement said. “The card will proceed as scheduled with twelve fights.”
This bout marked Burns’ opportunity to build on the momentum of a thunderous knockout win over Jason Saggo. This win was preceded by a decision loss to fellow Brazilian Michel Prazeres.
Aubin-Mercier, on the other hand, sought to improve his win-streak to four, after impressive wins over Thibault Gouti, Drew Dober and Tony Martin.
Here’s the UFC Orlando lineup as it stands after Gilbert Burns removal from the bill (h/t MMAJunkie).
MAIN CARD (FOX, 8 p.m. ET)
- Jeremy Stephens vs. Josh Emmett
- Jessica Andrade vs. Tecia Torres
- Ilir Latifi vs. Ovince Saint Preux
- Max Griffin vs. Mike Perry
PRELIMINARY CARD (FOX, 6 p.m. ET)
- Renan Barao vs. Brian Kelleher
- Sara McMann vs. Marion Reneau
- Angela Hill vs. Maryna Moroz
- Alan Jouban vs. Ben Saunders
PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass, 4 p.m. ET)
- Sam Alvey vs. Marcin Prachnio
- Russell Doane vs. Rani Yahya
- Alex Perez vs. Eric Shelton
- Manny Bermudez vs. Albert Morales
Were you looking forward to UFC Orlando’s Gilbert Burns vs. Olivier Aubin-Mercier lightweight bout? Who would you like to see both men fight next now that this fight’s been nixed?
This article first appeared on BJPenn.com on 2/21/2018.