“Tony Ferguson is a good husband and good father to our son. The current legal proceedings are a part of a process to ensure that Tony will receive the help necessary to continue being the best possible, as well as to pursue his passion and career as a UFC champion fighter. All positive well wishes are sincerely appreciated and I hope our privacy will be respected.”
Ferguson (24-3) hasn’t competed since a second-round stoppage over former UFC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis at UFC 229 in October. The 35-year-old was handed a restraining order from his wife after several incidents. Here’s an excerpt from MMAJunkie
“On Feb. 19, police conducted a welfare check on Tony Ferguson after he made unknown threats, and his wife and son left their house, according to a separate police report. Police spoke to an unidentified female who stated Tony Ferguson had ‘not slept for three days and was tearing apart the home’ and ‘broke apart the fire place and believed someone placed a (computer) chip in his leg.’ An unidentified male who’d called the police said the fighter had told him ‘someone was inside his walls.’ Nearly two hours after the police made contact, Cristina Ferguson told police her husband’s trainer couldn’t get him to leave the house to see a doctor.”
The timing was less than a week after six police units were sent to Ferguson’s home. It also comes after UFC President Dana White said there were personal issues that were keeping “El Cucuy” on the sidelines. Last month the UFC booked an interim lightweight title fight between featherweight champion Max Holloway against Dustin Poirier at UFC 236 on Apr. 13. This as opposed to Ferguson facing Holloway, who White claimed turned down the matchup.
Despite the news, Ferguson has still been posting on his social media platforms.
Tony Ferguson has won his last 11 fights but has only competed twice since 2017 due to injuries.
This article first appeared on BJPENN.COM on 3/15/2019.This article appeared first on BJPENN.COM