According to a report from TMZ, former UFC lightweight and featherweight champion Conor McGregor is ready to return to the Octagon.
TMZ claims to have spoken to a spoken to a source “extremely close” to the Irish MMA star, who divulged the following:
“He’s ready to fight now,” this sourced reportedly stated. “He’s in training. Everything needs to line up correctly … opponent, place and of course, money.”
TMZ’s report also adds that Conor McGregor has been putting in work at SBG Ireland, and even got in a hard sparring session with Triumph United founder Hans Molenkamp — a BJJ blackbelt who is deeply embedded in the MMA community.
Molenkamp posted a clip of this sparring session on his official Instagram page.
While Conor McGregor is reportedly ready to step back into the Octagon, his return is far from official at the time of this writing. That being said, he was recently called out by streaking UFC lightweight contender Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone, a fighter he’s previously been tied to. The fight makes sense from both a rankings and entertainment standpoint.
“If Conor wants to fight, f*ck yeah, let’s go,” Cerrone said shortly after he defeated Al Iaquinta in the main event of UFC Ottawa on Saturday. “Especially in July, I’m ready, let’s turn and burn, baby. … Who knows? I’m gonna be sittin’ at home in a couple of months, bored, like, ‘F*ck. Fine. I’ll fight whoever, let’s go.’ But I love it.”
Stay tuned for more updates on Conor McGregor as details emerge.
This article first appeared on BJPENN.COM on 5/7/2019.