Opening on Friday in 3,221 theaters, The Expendables 3 wasn’t even No. 1 for Friday with a measly $5.9 million. By Sunday, it had fallen further behind Let’s Be Cops to bring in about $16.2 million for the weekend.
By comparison, the original “Expendables” opened with $34.8 million on the same weekend four years ago on its way to $274 million worldwide, while its sequel The Expendables 2 opened with $29 million on its way to $300 million worldwide. In theory, the third movie could still do well worldwide, but it’s unlikely to gross more than $50 million domestically.
Here is the list of top 10 movies from this past weekend (Aug. 15-17, 2014):
1. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, $28,400,000
2. Guardians of the Galaxy, $24,735,000
3. Let’s Be Cops, $17,700,000
4. The Expendables 3, $16,200,000
5. The Giver, $12,760,000
6. Into the Storm, $7,720,000
7. The Hundred-Foot Journey, $7,109,000
8. Lucy, $5,300,000
9. Step Up All In, $2,700,000
10. Boyhood, $2,150,000
Data reported by ComingSoon.net.
With UFC women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey being featured as a prominent cast member of this installment of The Expendables, do you think the ratings would have been worse without the UFC champion?