Johny “Big Rig” Hendricks lost an opportunity to earn another title shot in front of his home-state crowd in Texas when he was forced out of his fight with Tyron Woodley due to weight cutting issues. Woodley was ready to make weight on Friday evening, but learned of his bout falling through in a bizarre manner. Rather than his boss UFC President Dana White or UFC matchmaker Joe Silva contacting him, Woodley learned through social media.
“I got the news as I was laying on the floor in the locker room stretching out when I completed my weight cut,” Woodley told informed MMA Junkie during UFC 192. “I was down to weight and we got the news. I got the news after you guys (the media) got the news, which was kind of crappy. It was on the Internet already. I don’t know what time you guys got it, but I got at like 11 (a.m.)-something, closer to noon.”
Woodley is still hoping to be on the path of gold despite not stepping into the octagon on Saturday night.
“To not be in the hunt for any of the bonuses and knock off this guy who was the No. 1 guy, that’s kind of a bittersweet moment,” Woodley said. “I’m trying to be positive and think that everything happened for a reason. Hopefully, when I talk to (UFC President Dana White) later on today, we have a clear path.”
Woodley is riding a two fight win streak with victories over Dong Hyun Kim and Kelvin Gastelum. He also defeated former championship challengers Josh Koscheck and Carlos Condit earlier in 2014 and 2013. Do you think Woodley earned a shot at UFC gold, or should he wait for another bout with Johny “Big Rig” Hendricks? Share your thoughts in the comments section below!