On April 4th the UFC hits Fairfax, Virginia for “UFC Fight Night: Mendes vs. Lamas”.
Learn everything you need to know about the fight card, courtesy of the UFC.
The event goes down live on FOX Sports 1 at 10 a.m. PT (1 a.m. ET) on Saturday, April 4, with the prelims kicking off the morning on FOX Sports 1 at 8 a.m. PT (11 a.m. ET), and on UFC FIGHT PASS™ at 7 a.m. PT (10 a.m. ET)
The UFC® returns to Fairfax, Va. on Saturday, April 4, as the featherweight division’s No. 1 contender Chad Mendes goes to head-to-head with fourth-ranked Ricardo Lamas in the five-round main event at the Patriot Center. Having both gone the distance in title bouts against champion Jose Aldo, these battle-tested 145ers will light up the Octagon® when UFC FIGHT NIGHT® takes center stage in the Greater Washington area.
Mendes (16-2, fighting out of Sacramento, Calif.), one of the heaviest hitters in the featherweight division, has been taking out top contenders in dominant fashion with wins over Darren Elkins, Clay Guida, Nik Lentz and Cub Swanson. His back-and-forth battle with Aldo at UFC 179 went down as one of the greatest fights in 2014. Lamas (15-3, fighting out of Chicago, Ill.) boasts an equally impressive resume that includes wins over Dennis Bermudez, Erik Koch and Swanson. With combined wins over the Who’s Who in the 145-pound weight class, Mendes and Lamas eye each other as their ticket to earning another shot at the title.
The co-main event will feature a staple in the lightweight division as (No. 13) Jorge Masvidal (28-6, fighting out of Miami) takes on rising contender (No. 15) Al Iaquinta (11-3-1, fighting out of Wantagh, N.Y.), a winner of three straight. Plus, The Ultimate Fighter® season 15 winner Michael Chiesa (11-2, fighting out of Spokane Valley, Wash.) takes on Canadian-born Mitch Clarke (11-2, fighting out of Glendale, Ariz.).
In addition, former top featherweight contender Dustin Poirier (16-4, fighting out of Coconut Creek, Fla.) will test the 155-pound waters when he makes his UFC lightweight debut against Diego Ferreira (10-1, fighting out of Pharr, Texas). Also, in a crucial women’s bantamweight bout, former title contender and women’s MMA pioneer (No. 8) Liz Carmouche (8-5, fighting out of San Diego, Calif.) makes her fifth UFC appearance against rising star Lauren Murphy (8-1, fighting out of Glendale, Ariz.).
Additional bouts include:
· (No. 11) Julianna Pena (6-2, fighting out of Spokane, Wash.), the first female season winner to emerge from The Ultimate Fighter, returns after a 17-month layoff to take on rising women’s bantamweight Milana Dudieva (11-3, fighting out of Alagir, Russia).
· Former STRIKEFORCE lightweight champion and fan-favorite (No. 11) Clay Guida (31-12, fighting out of Albuquerque, N.M.) takes on Robbie Peralta (18-5, 1NC, fighting out of Escondido, Calif.) in a featherweight bout.
· Former lightweight title contender Gray Maynard (12-5-1, 1NC, fighting out of Las Vegas, Nev.) meets MMA veteran Alexander Yakovlev (21-6-1, fighting out of Fairfield, N.J.).
· Ron Stallings (12-7, 1NC, fighting out of Camp Spring, Md.) will make his second Octagon appearance when he meets middleweight Justin Jones (3-1, fighting out of San Diego, Calif.).
· The Ultimate Fighter season 17 alumnus Clint Hester (11-4, fighting out of Atlanta, Ga.) squares off against fellow season cast mate Luke Barnatt (8-2, fighting out of Cambridge, England).
· Plus, heavyweights Shamil Abdurahimov (15-2, fighting out of Makhachkala, Russia) and Timothy Johnson (8-1, fighting out of Fargo, N.D.) meet in their UFC debuts.
Tickets for UFC FIGHT NIGHT®: MENDES vs. LAMAS go on sale Friday, Feb. 13 at 10 a.m. ET and are priced at $179, $129, $94, $74 and $54 (plus applicable service charges). Tickets are available for purchase at all Ticketmaster outlets including the Patriot Center box office, online at www.ticketmaster.com or via Phonecharge at (800) 745-3000. Ticket sales are limited to eight (8) per person.
UFC Fight Club® members will have the opportunity to purchase tickets to this event Wednesday, Feb. 11 at 10 a.m. ET via the website www.ufcfightclub.com. A special internet ticket pre-sale will be available to UFC newsletter subscribers Thursday, Feb. 12 starting at 10 a.m. ET. To access this presale, users must register for the UFC newsletter through UFC.com.