After Dana White announced last week that the bout between Khabib Nurmagomedov and Donald Cerrone was off due to a knee injury sustained by Khabib, nobody knew the extent of the injury.
Today Nurmagomedov’s manager Mike Constantino broke the news to MMAFighting.com that Khabib would have to undergo surgery to repair a torn meniscus, and would be out until 2015.
UFC President Dana White said the following after Nurmagomedov pulled out of the Cerrone bout on Friday.
“That fight is made — it’s done,” White said. “Twenty minutes later, [Nurmagomedov] went into the gym and blew his knee out. Twenty. F—ing. Minutes. Later.
“It was done. The bout agreements, done. Email went out last night from [UFC matchmaker] Joe Silva saying that this fight is done, both contracts were signed…boom, 20 minutes later, you’re not going to f—ing believe this, the fight is off.”
We will keep you updated with details as they emerge and would like to wish Khabib Nurmagomedov a speedy recovery.Tags: featured, injury, Khabib Nurmagomedov, meniscus, mma, surgery, ufc