“The Spider” was hospitalized due to apparent back pain earlier this month in Brazil. However, after a quick observation from doctors, Silva was released.
Back injuries are known to have lingering effects, but Anderson Silva downplayed the situation during Monday’s “UFC: The Time Is Now” press conferance in Las Vegas:
“I’m good now,” Silva said. “When I go to the academy for training, I train too much. My coach said, ‘Stop Anderson now. You’ve trained too much.’ Then when I finished my training, (I had a) little pain in my back. I go to the hospital, and the doctors said, ‘Anderson, you don’t have nothing. Go home.’
“I go home, and I’m waiting for my fight now. I’m very good. I don’t have any problems. My leg’s good, my back’s good, and I’m very excited to be back.”
The former UFC middleweight champion has not stepped foot inside the octagon since a December of 2013 loss to Chris Weidman, where Silva suffered a broken leg.
Anderson stated that although his wife and kids had asked him to retire following the injury, he just couldn’t allow his career to end in such dreadful fashion:
“My kids says, ‘Dad, please. No back.’ I say, ‘I need to go back because this is part of my life, is to fight, it’s part of my life,’” Silva said. “Then my wife and my kids say, ‘OK, Dad. If you’re happy, go back.’ Thank you to Dana (White) and Lorenzo (Fertitta). I’m very excited for back and to fight for my fans. I need to give back to my fans in the United States, my fans in the world, and what they give me.”
As for fighting former Strikeforce title holder Nick Diaz, Silva said he can’t wait:
“I’ve very excited to fight Nick because Nick has great fights in UFC,” Silva said. “I’m training very hard for my fight with Nick Diaz, and I’m very excited to be back.”
Stay tuned to BJPENN.com for all your UFC News!