White Confirms Belfort As Next Middleweight Title Challenger
The long-awaited rematch between UFC Middleweight Champion Chris Weidman and former Middleweight king Anderson Silva is set for this Saturday, December 28th for UFC 168 in Las Vegas, NV. and I for one can not wait!
However, there is one person who is awaiting to find out the outcome of this bout even more than I am! Dana White stated at Thursday’s press conference for UFC 168 at the MGM Grand Hotel that Vitor Belfort is next in line to fight for the UFC Middleweight title.
“Yeah, I think Vitor has earned the right to face whoever the winner is,” said UFC President Dana White. “Vitor has been out there fighting, taking on all comers. Yeah, he’s next in line; no doubt about it.”
Having had an excellent year, Vitor is in the running for Fighter of the Year, and is well deserving of another shot at the Middleweight title. Building a highlight reel like no one else in 2013 Vitor has knocked out the likes of Michael Bisping via a second round head kick, a spinning wheel kick knockout of former Strikeforce champ Luke Rockhold, and became the first fighter to ever knock out Dan Henderson via yet another kick finish in November.
Weidman vs Silva 2 is expected to be a huge payday for the UFC and the biggest Pay-Per-View event of 2013. However, if the main event is not a shut out and the two are scheduled to meet again for a rubber match then Vitor may be waiting a bit longer for his title shot.
“Anything’s possible. I would never say no, but if they go in and it’s a decisive win like the last fight was, Vitor is next,” said White after Thurday’s press conference.
To make things even more interesting, if Anderson is able to regain his title definitively then Vitor may get the opportunity to avenge his loss to Silva from UFC 126 in which Silva dropped Vitor with a vicious front kick to the face. This was the first front kick knockout in UFC history and the first time Vitor had been knocked out in his career.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.