Vagner Rocha out of UFC 172 bout Against Joe Ellenberger
On Wednesday UFC officials announced that the lightweight match-up between Vagner Rocha and Joe Ellenberger was going to be scrapped from the UFC 172 card with just days leading up to the event. It was announced that Rocha suffered an injury during training that forced him to withdraw from the bout, and with only three days until the show, it left them with no time to find another opponent for Ellenberger.
In a more interesting twist, the UFC confirmed that both fighters would still be receiving their “show pay” despite the bout being cancelled, and Ellenberger is still preparing to make weight at the weigh-in ceremonies on Friday so that he will be able to stand in as an alternate in the event of another last-minute injury.
The updated card for UFC 172 now looks like this:
MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view, 10 p.m. ET)
• Champ Jon Jones vs. Glover Teixeira – for light heavyweight title
• Phil Davis vs. Anthony Johnson
• Tim Boetsch vs. Luke Rockhold
• Yancy Medeiros vs. Jim Miller
• Andre Fili vs. Max Holloway
PRELIMINARY CARD (FOX Sports 1, 8 p.m. ET)
• Joseph Benavidez vs. Timothy Elliott
• Takanori Gomi vs. Isaac Vallie-Flagg
• Bethe Correia vs. Jessamyn Duke
• Charlie Brenneman vs. Danny Castillo
PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass, 7:30 p.m. ET)
• Chris Beal vs. Patrick Williams
UFC 172 will take place this Saturday, April 26, 2014 at the Baltimore Area in Baltimore, MD.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.