UFC On FOX 9 Ratings Up From Previous Event
UFC on Fox 9 had more viewers than UFC on Fox 8, but that isn’t saying much. The card, headlined by a flyweight title match between champion Demetrious Johnson and perennial number one contender Joseph Benevidez, ranked as the fourth worst for UFC on Fox cards in terms of viewership.
The card had an average viewership of 2.41 million and secured a 1.0 rating in the 18 to 49 demographic.
The number may change in the next few days however, as these are preliminary estimates, and only accounts for 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. (PST) viewership, instead of the 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. (PST) timeslot that UFC on Fox 9 filled.
Johnson has now headlined three UFC on Fox cards, and although he has finished his last two opponents, people do not seem to be tuning in to the flyweights. Hopefully with his brutal knockout over Benevidez, Johnson will raise his stock in the eyes of the casual viewers.
One of the possible reasons for low ratings this time is the fact that we are nearing the holidays, and the main demographic (males 18-49) for UFC fights may be watching Christmas specials on television with their children. UFC on Fox 9 scored lower than CBS broadcasts of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Frosty the Snowman and Frosty Returns.
Another depressing figure is that the recent World Series of Fighting card, headlined by Georgi Karakhanyan vs. Lance Palmer on NBC Sports Network scored an abysmal 94,000 viewers.
The list of all of the UFC on FOX cards, along with their viewership and ratings are as follows:
- UFC on FOX 1, November 12, 2011, headlined by Cain Velasquez vs. Junior dos Santos: 5.7 million average viewership, 3.1 rating in adults 18-49.
- UFC on FOX 2, January 28, 2012, headlined by Rashad Evans vs. Phil Davis: 4.57 million average viewership, 2.2 rating in adults 18-49.
- UFC on FOX 3, May 5, 2012, headlined by Nate Diaz vs. Jim Miller: 2.25 million average viewership, 1.0 rating in adults 18-49
- UFC on FOX 4, August 4, 2012, headlined by Mauricio ‘Shogun’ Rua vs. Brandon Vera: 2.36 million average viewership, 0.9 rating in adults 18-49
- UFC on FOX 5, December 8, 2012, headlined by Benson Henderson vs. Nate Diaz: 3.41 million average viewership, 1.6 rating in adults 18-49
- UFC on FOX 6, January 26, 2013, headlined by Demetrious Johnson vs. John Dodson: 3.77 million average viewership, 1.7 rating in adults 18-49
- UFC on FOX 7, April 20, 2013, headlined by Benson Henderson vs. Gilbert Melendez: 3.3 million average viewership, 1.6 rating in adults 18-49
- UFC on Fox 8, headlined by Demetrious Johnson vs. John Moraga: 2.08 million average viewership, .9 rating in adults 18-49
- UFC on Fox 9, headlined by Demetrious Johnson vs. Joseph Benevidez 2: 2.41 million average viewership, 1.0 rating in adults 18-49