UFC on FOX 7 Medical Suspensions Report
The medical suspension list is in for UFC on FOX 7: Henderson vs. Melendez. The event took place this past Saturday at HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif.
The California Athletic Commission released suspensions earlier today.
Benson Henderson, who defended his lightweight title via split decision against Gilbert Melendez, was given a mandatory 7-day term. Melendez also got the same term.
In the co-main event fight, Daniel Cormier received a 180-day suspension in his UFC debut. The undefeated Cormier was given the suspension with no contact or until cleared by a physician for a swollen right middle finger. Cormier defeated past UFC heavyweight champion, Frank Mir, via unanimous decision. Mir got a mandatory 7-day suspension.
Jordan Mein probably suffered the most major damage of the night. Mein, who stepped in for Dan Hardy to fight Matt Brown, was suspended for six months for a potential left jaw and right orbital fracture. Plus, he was also given two months for a laceration on his nose and 45 days for his technical knockout loss. Brown was given 60 days with a 60-day no contact for a laceration to his right elbow or until cleared by a physician.
Nate Diaz, who lost via technical knockout to Josh Thomson in the second round, is suspended for 60 days for facial lacerations to his nose and cheek with no contact or until cleared by a physician. He also received a 45-day suspension with 30 days no contact for the technical knockout. Thomson received the mandatory 7-day suspension.
Medical suspension list for UFC on FOX 7:
- Darren Elkins: Suspended 45 days with 30 days no contact for TKO
- Chad Mendes: Suspended 180 days with 180 days no contact or until cleared by physician for possible right index finger fracture
- Myles Jury: Suspended 60 days with 60 days no contact or until cleared by physician for laceration to right eyebrow
- Ramsey Nijem: Suspended 180 days with 180 days no contact or until cleared by physician. Sent to hospital for head trauma. Suspended 45 days with 30 days no contact, no exceptions, for KO
- Francis Carmont: Mandatory 7-day suspension
- Lorenz Larkin: Mandatory 7-day suspension
- Jorge Masvidal: Suspended 180 days with 180 days no contact or until cleared by physician for right thumb fracture. Also suspended 60 days with 60 days no contact or until cleared by physician for two top of scalp lacerations
- Tim Means: Mandatory 7-day suspension
- Joseph Benavidez: Suspended 60 days with 60 days no contact for broken tooth and laceration to right eyebrow or until cleared by physician
- Darren Uyenoyama: Suspended 45 days with 30 days no contact for TKO
- T.J. Dillashaw: Mandatory 7-day suspension
- Hugo Viana: Suspended 45 days with 30 days no contact for TKO
- Anthony Njokuani: Mandatory 7-day suspension
- Roger Bowling: suspended 45 days with 30 days no contact for KO and must have neurological check
- Yoel Romero: mandatory seven-day suspension
- Clifford Starks: suspended 45 days with 30 days no contact for KO
About the Author
Originally slated to co-main event UFC Fight Night 35, Ovince St. Preux vs. Thiago Silva…
World Series of Fighting held their inaugural show in November of 2012 on NBC Sports…
UFC welterweights Jake Shields and Hector Lombard are set to meet in the octagon at…
The World Series Of Fighting promotion returns to action tonight with WSOF 7. WSOF 7…
Tonight BJPENN.COM will be providing live results of the ‘WSOF 7: Karakhanyan vs. Palmer’ event….
Invicta FC 7 goes down tonight from the Ameristar Casino in Kansas City. BJPENN.COM will…
Invicta Fighting Championships Strawweight contender Claudia Gadelha was forced to withdraw from Saturday’s scheduled title…
It was originally rumored that UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones would defend his title…
We recently learned that UFC welterweight Matt Brown was forced to withdraw from his scheduled…