BJPENN COM

MMA News

Thursday, 12/08/2011, 07:43 pm

UFC NEWS: Miguel Torres Cut From The UFC Due To Twitter Remarks

“This morning I’m on [Michael] Landsberg’s show, up here in Canada, and he hits me with the quote of what he tweeted. Now there’s no explanation for that. There’s absolutely nothing I could say to make any sense of that. And the fact that he even thinks that’s funny or that’s a joke, it disturbs me. It bothers me. Again, you’re dealing with a guy that’s a smart guy, that owns his own business, that’s been one of the top fighters in the world forever. And I cut him today. Miguel Torres has been cut from the UFC and his career with us now is over,” said White “And then he said he hadn’t heard what happened to Forrest [Griffin, who drew fire for tweeting "Rape is the new missionary" last month]. Really? Where do you live? What business are you in? How do you not hear about these things? You should have paid more attention. It’s to the point now where, there’s going be times when things happen and mistakes are made. I cannot defend Miguel Torres. I cannot defend what he said. What he said makes no sense other than when he says, “It was a joke.” Well, I don’t think that’s a funny joke. I think it’s disturbing.

As a result of his tweet from yesterday, top ranked UFC bantamweight, and former WEC bantamweight champion Miguel Torres has been cut from the UFC.  Dana White made the announcement in an interview with SI.com earlier.

Yesterday, Torres sent out a Tweet that said “If a rape van was called a surprise van more women wouldn’t mind going for rides in them. Everyone likes surprises.” Unlike Forrest Griffin and Rashad Evans, who also made public remarks that have upset some fans and some media, Torres was not given a pass for his comments.  Was Dana right for cutting Torres, or should Miguel have known better given recent, similar events?

//

comments