Archive: MMA NEWS

Jun 19, 2014 2:45 pm

Rumor: UFC 174 PPV Bombs, Earns Less Buys Than Bellator

We thought UFC 173’s numbers looked bad and they were, but if early indicators hold true, UFC 174 set the new standard for bad buy rate. Ratings Guru, Dave Meltzer explains: (Via The Wrestling Observer) UFC 174 was the night that tested what the least amount of interest UFC could garner from a PPV perspective...

Jun 19, 2014 2:40 pm

UFC Fight Pass Airing ‘Fightography: Frank Mir’

A decade removed from one of the most chaotic endings to any championship fight, UFC FIGHT PASS, the Ultimate Fighting Championship’s digital streaming service, re-examines the June 19, 2004, Frank Mir vs Tim Sylvia bout in the premiere of the new Fightography series. Available immediately at UFCFIGHTPASS.com, Fightography: Frank Mir gives subscribers the opportunity to...

Jun 19, 2014 1:00 pm

A Look Back: Strikeforce’s Last Days And Scott Coker’s Return

With all this Scott Coker talk, let’s take a walk down memory lane and revisit the days of Strikeforce past. Strikeforce of course was the promotion that Coker founded and ran for its entire existence until Zuffa bought and eventually closed it down. March 12, 2011 is when Dana White announced the purchase, but explained...

Jun 19, 2014 9:40 am

GSP Shows Off His Impressive Strength

Former UFC welterweight champion, Georges St-Pierre is pretty strong. In the video, the MMA legend is seen doing one armed pull ups. How many could you do?

Jun 19, 2014 6:31 am

Ratings Report: UFC 173 PPV Buys Barely Hit 200K

When it comes to PPV buy rates we never really get disclosed true and accurate figures. However the one reliable and lone source for UFC pay-per-view figures has and always will be, Mr. Dave Meltzer. When people talk of buys, stating this PPV did this amount and this one did that, it is all based...

Jun 19, 2014 6:00 am

Sonnen Responds To NSAC Suspension, Says He’s Definitely Done Fighting

Yesterday the Nevada State Athletic Commission suspended retired UFC fighter Chael Sonnen following a failed drug test for banned substances. Sonnen had already retired from competition, so the suspension is of no real consequence, however, he still took to his day job at UFC Tonight to react to the news. “I’m retired. But there is...

Jun 19, 2014 5:59 am

Scott Coker Lays Out Plans For Big Fights Under Bellator Banner

“My plan is to go from a tournament format to a more traditional format, to more of a superfight format,” said Coker, in his first day at his new job after what he described was a very quick negotiation period. “We will do tournaments when the situation makes sense. I think a tournament can make...

Jun 19, 2014 5:30 am

Condit Still Six-Months From Training Clearance, Wants Woodley Rematch

“Everything is going well so far. It’s a long, slow process. It’s six months from surgery until I can start doing light stuff in the MMA gym. I’m making progress. I want to get that rematch with Tyron Woodley and I want the rematch with Johny Hendricks. I want to be in the title picture...

Jun 19, 2014 5:30 am

Pearson Discusses Controversial Sanchez Fight: ‘I was conviced I won’

“I was convinced I won that fight pretty easily and it was going to the judges’ decision with Bruce Buffer calling the victory for me. When they called it out, I felt like I was hit by Brazil all over again.”   Pearson on if getting the win bonus takes the sting off losing: “Without a...

Jun 19, 2014 5:30 am

Luke Rockhold: ‘I Want Vitor. Bisping’s Easy Money’

“I don’t want to wait that long. I want Vitor. I thought me and Jacare had a close fight, but he’s ranked above me now so I want to rectify that situation. There aren’t that many fights for me right now. How long is Vitor going to be out, that’s the question for me?”  ...

Jun 19, 2014 5:30 am

Uriah Hall Inspires

The powerful story of UFC middleweight Uriah Hallmaking an impact, as at-risk youth in Los Angeles seek a new lease on life.

Jun 19, 2014 5:10 am

Lifting The Ban, More Bellator Coverage Coming To BJPENN.COM

In case any of you missed the news earlier, here’s a recap of what went down with Bellator MMA. Goodbye Bjorn Rebney, hello Scott Coker. Yes,Viacom, the huge media company that owns the majority of Bellator, has parted ways with founder and CEO Bjorn Rebney. The now former CEO of Bellator released a statement about...

Jun 19, 2014 5:05 am

Rep Says Alvarez May Stay At Bellator, Happy With New Direction

“Eddie is happy about the shakeup. He wasn’t happy with the way things were being run. I don’t think that’s any secret, so Eddie was very happy to hear there’s been a change in management. Eddie respects Viacom very much, and he’s always told me that.” … “Everything we requested (from the former management team)...

Jun 19, 2014 5:01 am

FREE FIGHT VIDEO | Jeremy Stephens K.O.’s Marcus Davis

Jeremy Stephens displays his one-punch knockout power against Marcus Davis at UFC 125. “Lil Heathen” will put his three-fight win streak on the line in the Fight Night San Antonio main event vs. Cub Swanson.

Jun 19, 2014 5:00 am

Condit Tattoo Removed From EA UFC Game

If you picked up the new EA UFC video game, don’t be surprised when you see a cleaned up Carlos Condit. According to a report over at The Wall Street Journal a history of legal issues is to blame. Here’s their breakdown: Phoenix-based tattoo artist Chris Escobedo took an intellectual property rights training course and...

Jun 19, 2014 4:59 am

Damaged ACL Repaired, Big Nog Wants 2015 Return To Action

According to reports coming out of Brazil, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira underwent successful knee surgery to repair a damaged ACL. The longtime heavyweight staple, at 38-years old, still has a desire to compete, and Brazilian Commissioner Marcio Tannure told Combate.com that everything’s a go for ‘Big Nog’s’ return to competition: “The procedure was a success, now...

Jun 18, 2014 6:14 pm

LEAKED! – Rebney’s Scripted Hype Video That Viacom Threw Away

Our good friends over at Middleeasy have got their hands on this video that Bjorn Rebney tried to push on SPIKE TV. Zeus, of Middleeasy shares the story: The story behind this promo is Bjorn Rebney wanted to show the media how great of a rapport he had with his staff and fighters. In order...

Jun 18, 2014 6:04 pm

Bellator Announces Scott Coker As New President, Getting Rid of Tournament Format & Seasons

Following a full day or reports, rumors and speculation, the Bellator promotion has announced that Scott Coker will take over as the company’s president. Coker is a well-respected martial arts promoter who founded the popular Strikeforce promotion back in 1985. The company managed to operate successfully as the number-two MMA Promotion in the world under...

Jun 18, 2014 5:43 pm

WSOF Exec: Rebney’s Release Is Freedom From Slavery, A Victory For MMA

“Today is victory for all of MMA – for me, for you, for all the fighters. Today should be (named) MMA Independence Day. Freedom from slavery, freedom from abuse, freedom from shadiness – this guy left. I don’t want to say his name – just MMA fans should be happy, and I’m very sure a...

Jun 18, 2014 12:53 pm

QUICK TWITT | Pro’s React To Rebney’s Termination

Earlier today we learned that Viacom was taking their MMA company serious for once, and as a result they got rid of their plague of bad executives. A top the termination list was company founder, Bjorn Rebney. The MMA world reacted: Regardless of what went on ,it was Fun building this company w You @BjornRebney...

Jun 18, 2014 12:33 pm

Matt Serra Admits To TRT Use, ‘It’s fun’, Says The Former Champ

“After I got done fighting, I was always on the mat six days a week. So I got on the TRT. I had some back issues, I’m always on the mat and I figured I’d get my levels checked because I had some guys going who were around my age or a little bit older....

Jun 18, 2014 12:27 pm

Dodson: ‘Might Mouse is ducking me’ (bro)

Everybody ducking Vitor bro! Wait, wrong guy… In a recent interview with FOX Sports, Top UFC Flyweight John Dodson proclaimed that the champ, Demetrious ‘Mighty Mouse’ Johnson is avoiding a rematch. Here’s what he said: “I heard the press conference, I heard him trying to duck and bob and weave and jive out of a...

Jun 18, 2014 10:01 am

Kimbo Camp Confirms Bellator Offer, Nothing Signed Yet

Could one of MMA’s biggest TV draws be coming back for a stint under Scott Coker? That’s what the rumor-mill has been filled with since our report last week. Now, we have confirmation from Ariel Helwani, that indeed, talks have taken place with the Bellator promotion. In Ariel’s report (via mmafighting.com), Kimbo’s manager Icey Mike...

Jun 18, 2014 9:46 am

CONFIRMED: VIACOM Gets Smart, Ditches Bjorn Rebney For Scott Coker

MMA’s biggest scoundrel, Bjorn Rebney has been officially removed from his seat as Bellator President. As we reported earlier today Scott Coker, the former Strikeforce boss, will come in as a replacement and likely give Bellator the credibility they’ve been lacking. Rebney released the following statement: “It is with bittersweet emotions that I announce that...