Chael Sonnen has demands for his new UFC contract. At the top of that list: replace veteran ring announcer Bruce Buffer with Jello Biafra, the former lead singer of the Dead Kennedys.
By Christopher Murphy @MurphMMA
It seems that Chael Sonnen has changed his stance on not needing a contract to fight for the UFC. During a Q&A session with fans at the UFC Expo this past weekend, the UFC light heavyweight fighter explained a list of demands he sent to the UFC for a contract before he fights Mauricio ‘Shogun’ Rua in their UFC on FOX Sports 1 fight scheduled for August 17.
Pulled from Sonnen’s statements during the Q&A, here is a list of his 9 demands that the UFC must meet:
1. “Jello Biafra replaces Bruce Buffer as ring announcer.”
2. “Every fight I’m in must be a number 1 contender fight or a title match.
3. “If I lose, I get an immediate rematch until I win.”
4. “No media can look me in the eye, or they will be removed from the room.”
5. “Headset legalized through the commission so I can call my own fights.”
6. “No longer will I walk to the ring. I need to be carried.”
7. “Keys to your least favorite Ferrari- I’m not asking too much.”
8. “I can Skype or FaceTime my fights if I don’t feel like flying.”
9. “And [No. 9 is] non-negotiable: tell ‘GSP’ to stop being such a dick. I’ll return his truck when I’m done with it.”
Sonnen concluded his list by saying to the fans, “See, I’m not all about money, people. There’s more to these contracts. They’re very sophisticated.”
Rhetorical ploys aside, Sonnen’s comments shed very little light on the contractual obligations existing (or not existing) between the UFC and one of its more recognizable fighters. Certainly, with a regular position on UFC Tonight and a number of fights against top-level opponents, Sonnen is not worried about losing his job with the organization. But should fans be concerned about his alleged aversion to signing a contract?
Well, Sonnen himself hinted that all of this may be a rouse.
“First thing to remember is when you answer a question, you are not under oath. I don’t answer questions. I handle questions. That’s very important to know.”
So it seems that Bruce Buffer need not worry about the Dead Kennedys’ singer taking his job any time soon.
UFC on FOX Sports 1 is set to take place on August 17 at the TD Garden in Boston, Massachusets. This will be the UFC’s debut event on FOX’s new sports network.Tags: Chael Sonnen, Mauricio Rua, Mauricio shogun rua, mma, MMA NEWS, Shogun Rua, ufc, ufc news, UFC on FOX Sports 1, ufc on fs1