Some fighters just have that gift, to be able to go from one fight to the next with little time in between. Team Alpha Male fighter, Danny Castillo is one of those guys and he is determined to prove it at UFC 141 against Anthony Njokuani.
Having fought just last month at UFC 139 in a complete one-sided beat down over Shamar Bailey, Castillo decided to help the UFC and fill an injury void on just a couple weeks’ notice against a very tough and determined up-and-comer in Njokuani.
Similar to the evening’s headliner, this is a “striker vs. grappler” match in the purist form and the Sacramento trained fighter says he is ready for it.
In this exclusive interview with BJPENN.COM Castillo talks about his decisions to take the fight on short notice, his condition and his opponent amongst other things.
Check it out:
“I was healthy leaving the last fight [so there was no hesitation to take this one]. My camp went well and I thought the matchup stylistically was a great matchup for me so I hopped all over it.
In the past Anthony Njokuani has had trouble stuffing the takedowns and he hasn’t done too well against other wrestlers and that’s where my strong point is, so I think it’s a good matchup for me.
I think he’s an exciting fighter. I’m very familiar with him because we both fought in the WEC. I’ve had my eye on him for quite some time.
I think that he’s a dangerous fighter but there’s no fighter in the UFC that’s not dangerous. I’m dangerous also, so it’s going to be two dangerous guys getting into the cage and I think that the style matchup favors me more because I’ll be able to dictate where the fight goes. I’ll be able to keep him on his back and look to ground and pound him as much as possible.”
With having fought just a little over a month ago, this will be the second fight in a row Danny has taken on short notice. In his mind, with the two-mini-camps, he has put the time in and is well prepared for this showdown headed to Spike TV.
“I took the Shamar bailey fight on short notice as well, so in all actuality the two camps ended up being shorter than one full camp. I think all together it might be eight weeks, I feel like I had a break in between, I’ve had about a week off in between fight camps but these days I’m training year round so it wasn’t too much stress on my body.”
Next “Last Call” Castillo gives his thoughts on how the fight will play out.
“I see his fight playing out almost like a Chael Sonnen fight. I’m going to close the distance, there’s no surprise in my game plan, I’m going to take him down and go to work. Basically hit him as many times as I can as hard as I can while he’s on the ground, look to soften him up and go for a submission or a TKO.”
To follow up I asked, what if the takedowns do not come, what if he is forced to standup with his opponent on Friday night? Is he confident enough to go toe-to-toe with a dangerous striker?
To that he said…
“There’s always a plan B, but in 16 professional fights I’ve taken down 15 of my opponents and the one guy I didn’t take down was because it was a knockout.
The numbers don’t lie.”
And there you have it BJPENN.COM’ers. As always, I would like to direct you to the audio clip at the bottom of this entry for your full access pass to the unedited version of this one-on-one interview exclusive. We talk about many more items of discussion while on the line and it’s worth the seven-minutes and forty-two-seconds of your time to check it out.
featured, MMA NEWS, Strikeforce, strikeforce news, ufc 141, ufc news