Earlier this month, the Ultimate Fighting Championship suspended heavyweight Matt Mitrione after making offensive comments about Fallon Fox on “The MMA Hour.” He was suspended for breaching the UFC’s code of conduct. The suspension was short-lived and was lifted on Wednesday. He has remained silent about the situation until now.
“I want to apologize for my hurtful comments about Fallon Fox and a group within our society which, in truth, I know nothing about,” Mitrione told MMAjunkie.com. “I know now there’s an important line between expressing an opinion on a subject and being hurtful and insensitive. I crossed that line by expressing my views in an ugly, rude and inappropriate manner.”
Aside from being suspended, Mitrione was also fined an undisclosed amount. UFC officials declined to reveal the amount of the fine. UFC President Dana White told MMAjunkie that Mitrione’s suspension was not long, because it was meant to prevent Mitrione from making public appearances as a UFC fighter. It also gave the promotion time to decide what course to take with the situation.
Mitrione (6-2) is slated to face Brendan Schaub (9-3) at UFC on FOX 8 at Key Arena in Seattle on July 27. Earlier this month, Mitrione defeated Philip De Fries by knockout in 19 seconds in the first round at UFC on FUEL TV 9: Mousasi vs. Latifi.Tags: brendan schaub, Dana White, Fallon Fox, matt mitrione, MMA NEWS, ufc news, ufc on fox 8